The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to find bolt on tow hooks for my 95 F350 4x4. I've read a few archived threads and it seems extra work needs to be done. Are there any straight bolt ons?

Thanks

· Registered
646 Posts
Colbert used to make bolt on tow hooks for our OBS trucks but no longer make them. You might be able to find some on E-bay. The tow hooks on my truck took some machining to make the mounts but they do work and look good. You can see them in the link in my signature. My design has been criticized as being weak, and I will admit I bent them a small amount when jerking stumps with them, but they are sufficient for me.

· Registered
6,006 Posts
If I remember the threads from waaaaaaaay back, one needs to reinforce (by the use of a front receiver for example) the frame crossways when using tow hooks to avoid tweaking it sideways. Of course, the front receivers have built in hooks or eyes already. Cheers!

· Registered
646 Posts
Patrick is correct. I had it happen on my 95 early in its life when I had it pulled out of a ditch by tying the tow chain to the front of the frame, where the tow hooks attach. I now have a DIY front hitch between my frame horns as well as my DIY tow hooks. The bumper is inadequate to prevent tweeking the frame.

· Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I looked at your tow hooks STurb90, thought they'd be the ticket until I looked at my bumper. It is made differently, no holes for the hooks to come out on that side of the frame. Since I'm the 4th ownwer of this truck the bumper might have been changed. I'll contact Colibert Hitches to see if they have anything else. Might have to go ahead with the receiver hitch up front. Thanks again for the quick responses!

· Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You did a GREAT job, looked factory to me!!!!!!! Where did you get the plastic trim?

Did you have to drill the holes into the top of your frame? Mine doesn't have holes in the top.

I'm not afraid of DIY, as you can see by my built Ranger, but I'd rather just bolt on whenever possible and go on to my next project!

· Registered
3,340 Posts
The trim is some fiberglass pieces I made. I originally intended to get another factory center trim piece and cut the outer sections off and add them to the oe one, but just never got around to it.

I just had to cut the holes in the bumper and drill two holes in each frame rail to mount the hooks.

BUT, If I didn't have the reverse shackle kit I would have just bolted in a front receiver and been done with it.

· Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
STurbo90 it looks like you've worked with fiberglass at least once or twice before!! Your under the dash guage set-up looks factory also, great job.

Thanks all for the help.

· Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Contacted Jeremy at Colibert Hitches (1-801-972-3322) and they sent me a set of tow hooks to my door for $71. Just had to take the bumper off and they bolted right up. Took longer to open the box than it did to bolt the hooks on. They drop down below the bumper and run vertical instead of horizontal like the tow hooks thru the bumpers. Couldn't find a front receiver or anyone else with the hooks. Glad to have these so I have a little something to attach too if I need it. Thanks again guys for the lead!

· Registered
646 Posts

· Registered
6,006 Posts
The front receivers are available all over the place, but they won't have tow "hooks". They do have tow "loops" instead (at least the one on my 94 does). I need to get one for my 97 F250 4x4 (PSD of course). Cheers!

· Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the hitch on the Colorado Power Stroke web site. I PMd the guy. A front receiver would be a nice addition.

Sorry I don't know what a "RSK' is?

· Registered
93 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.