The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it wasn't a planned event, but I now have a toy hauler. 2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp with the side deck and rear deck option. Comparable to staying in a small house!!!! Onboard 5.5 Onan is the best thing int he world... Auto leveling is pretty great too!

It was a bit of an impulse buy last month....:surprise:
I got it at almost dealer cost because he couldn't move it. It was sitting on his lot for 130 days.

My '01 pulled it fine on the 400 mile trip home, and more importantly, stopped it!

Some upgrades are in order for the old 7.3.
Trans cooler from a 6.0 is definitely happening before my next big trip.
I have to replace the sending unit on my trans temp gauge (gauges are in my signature).

I did some pulling in OD, but I don't think I'll do that anymore. The unexpected downshift when heading up a grade was working the trans too hard.

I think I should just tow with OD locked out.
Which leads me to my big question. How many RPMs are too many RPMs?
On flat land, in OD, I can chug along at 65 mph at 1,800 RPM. When I lock out OD, the RPMs go upwards of 2,400. I think I redline at 3,500.

As long as EGTs are in the green, and trans temp is well below 220 degrees, is it ok to run these trucks extended times at 2,400 rpm?

I guess if I ran at 55 mph with OD locked out, I could get the rpms down to 2000 or less.

What is the best speed/rpm to run these babies while pulling a HEAVY trailer???

Thanks for the input.

BTW, I've already had this out on the beach! Aired all 12 tires down to 15psi and I just floated across the sand.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Nice looking trailer. One thing I would do before you tow anymore would be to replace the transmission cooler with the 6.0 cooler like you plan to. It sounds like you are working your transmission pretty hard right now. So you need all the cooling you can get. I don't normally tow at 65, but I doubt towing at 2400 rpm's for long period would hurt anything. Did you know the max speed rating on most trailer tires is 65 mph?

Griz

·
Registered
898 Posts
I tow heavy also I have a 2002 7.3 4x4 . I only lock out my overdrive in the mountains other than that I don't and she does great on flat roads. I would also put it on a scale loaded so you know what you actually weigh. The main thing is always keep an eye on tires and breaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts