The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick hopefully easy question...I have a bone stock 2000 f350 7.3 190k only aftermarket is ais intake, my concern comes in when towing my 6k bumper pull travel trailer... I try my best to keep rpms and boost up while accelerating I can wind it out pretty good through 1st and 2nd maintaining around 2k rpms but when the truck hits 3rd gear and the tc locks my rpms instantly drop to 1400 rpm and have to work my way back to my powerband and then I deal with the 4th gear shift and play the game all over again... isn't this lugging the engine or is this just how the 7.3 accelerates under load? Am I doing something wrong while accelerating while towing

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
If you want higher RPMs press the go pedal further. It's working as designed.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I would agree with Mark. when I am towing and getting up to speed I put the pedal on the floor, the tranny shifts around 3 grand or so. Once I am up to speed I back off.
DENNY

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really I feel extremely dumb right now I've pushed it 3/4s throttle, I just didn't think there would be any way flying by every car with a 26ft tt behind me would be the right way to drive my truck correctly! I knew it pulled better deep into the pedal I just thought that would really be beating the snot out of it! Now would my egts be higher at the high rpm or would they be lower with the added boost? I'm still working on the pyro gauge situation? So I have no real idea on what they tend to do... I just recently picked up an insight

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Yep drive it like ya stole it!! The EGT'S will go up but you can back off once you get up to speed and they will drop. My stock 99 will hit when I pull the 5th wheel up big hills but backs down quickly when I get off the pedal. I am going to change out exhaust, just looking for a quiet one with a 3 1/2 downpipe.
DENNY

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
While I agree with everyone that you need to press the GO pedal, as I was pulling my 30 ft travel trailer in Nebraska at about 60 mph on a very slight incline, I blew one of the turbo boots off just as I peaked out at about 2300 rpm. I had never had an issue like that. Fortunately, I was in a small town that I could limp off the highway and get it to a Ford dealer to clean and reinstall the boot. Feeling snake-bit, I limped back to Texas, keeping the speeds around 70 mph or lower. I have not had an issue like that with the boots since. The dealership felt that I had over-boosted the turbo, but they also noticed an installation defect on how the boot was actually installed at the factory. I've been a happy camper since then.

just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so talking with a few different people here's where things are, I'm at the conclusion my truck may be shifting weird due to my trailer weight being a bit in between light and heavy, my trailers between 5k to 6k lbs and with putting the pedal down any more than ive been doing I fly while towing my camper it's a foolish way to tow and refuse to do it! When im lighter on the throttle like I have been I get the early shift in third and overdrive due to the tc locking up... does this sound like a stupid theory? Pulling lighter landscape trailers it just drives normal and the dump trailer I pulled at extremely low speeds due to the road being absolutely trashed and never got it on the main roads just down the road for rock so it was hard to tell how it shifted... my travel trailer is my concern at 6k max and my power doesnt seem to be the problem it seems to only be the early shift in 3rd and 4th jumping from 2200 or so rpm to 1300 when shifting into 3rd with TC lockup

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
You could call some of the programers and see if they can change the shift programing. My early 99 shifted way too late when driving around the side streets, I put a used PCM from a 2000 in and that solved the problem.
DENNY

·
Registered
998 Posts
If your letting it shift at 2200 under load, then you are lugging it. Push the pedal down and learn to tow a trailer. Pushing the pedal down is not stupid trailer towing. Learn to drive. As stated several times, if towing a load like that, it should shift at about 3k. If your on a hill, you should be In 3rd, pushing minimum 2500rpm after a shift from 2nd at about 3k. If it wont hold 2500 with the pedal on the floor, then you have a power issue. A stock truck is not likely to exceed EGTs unless your load is big, the hill is huge, and the temp outside is over 90. Other than that, hold it to the floor all day and its not exceeding egts. If you buy a tow tune. Be prepared, because it wont let you shift early, and its going all the way to 3k before it shifts. Also, if you tow properly, shifting at 3k, you will get better mileage. Lugging sucks the fuel and burns holes in your pistons. Push the darn pedal down. Towing, I keep mine on the floor until Im up to speed, then I back down to what I need to keep it. If it drops to 3rd, I push the button to keep it there, drop the rpm to 2500 or keep it there , and that's the speed the truck will do towing. Any more I'm pushing it, less I'm lugging it. Also note, you have maximum torque at 1900rpm, 2500rpm gives you enough HP to hold that torque. If you ever wondered why a dodge has better towing power, its because a cummins as maximum torque at 1600rpm giving it a lot more pulling power. You could always take a towing course. Its mandatory for travel trailers over 13k now in Canada, and you need a special endorsement on your license to tow them now. So the courses are available.

·
Premium Member
14,378 Posts
Denny hit the nail on the head - the programmers will allow you to choose between tunes that shift ideally for an empty truck or while towing. The tow tunes shift later without the need for racing around others in traffic while towing a 26 foot trailer. Plus, they optimize engine braking when decelerating. I love the ability to optimize my truck for my situation with the push of a button.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Quick hopefully easy question...I can wind it out pretty good through 1st and 2nd maintaining around 2k rpms but when the truck hits 3rd gear and the tc locks my rpms instantly drop to 1400 rpm and have to work my way back to my powerband and then I deal with the 4th gear shift and play the game all over again...Am I doing something wrong while accelerating while towing
Until you research a programmer, can't you just use the GearShift Lever and O/D button to choose your RPM more like a standard transmission?

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
That is a good question for Mark K!! BUT, I would refer to post #2!! Because, now he has to do a long teaching post on the how come/why/why not/but if/and because, that can take one or more hours do. I learn a lot from his posts so I would love for him to do one (when he gets the time!!) because I would ask the same question. If you do a search on his posts I think somewhere he answered the question but it was in a going up/down hill post.
DENNY

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Ok so talking with a few different people here's where things are, I'm at the conclusion my truck may be shifting weird due to my trailer weight being a bit in between light and heavy, my trailers between 5k to 6k lbs and with putting the pedal down any more than ive been doing I fly while towing my camper it's a foolish way to tow and refuse to do it! When im lighter on the throttle like I have been I get the early shift in third and overdrive due to the tc locking up... does this sound like a stupid theory? Pulling lighter landscape trailers it just drives normal and the dump trailer I pulled at extremely low speeds due to the road being absolutely trashed and never got it on the main roads just down the road for rock so it was hard to tell how it shifted... my travel trailer is my concern at 6k max and my power doesnt seem to be the problem it seems to only be the early shift in 3rd and 4th jumping from 2200 or so rpm to 1300 when shifting into 3rd with TC lockup
If your transmission is working as designed, a Banks Transcommand will fix your issue. I bought my 2000 F-250 in January 2000. The first time I pulled a trailer, I had the same complaint you have. I installed a Transcommand on it and it has been working well for over 19 years.

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
Until you research a programmer, can't you just use the GearShift Lever and O/D button to choose your RPM more like a standard transmission?
Yes, you can do that. It won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
You don't have to keep the gas pedal to the metal all the time if you don't feel comfortable doing that and feel as if you would be passing everything on the road like a manic. Just push the gas pedal down a little farther than you are now, and the truck will go a little faster and stay in second a little longer before shifting to third. If it is accelerating a little too slowly once it shifts into third, then press the gas pedal down a little bit more and it will accelerate a little bit faster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts