The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what oil I should be using in my '09 this winter?

It gets as cold as -40 degrees around here and I'll routinely be towing anywhere from 5000-15,000lbs down logging roads with rolling hills and steep inclines.

I read that 10w30 was good in the cold but also read that it's no good for towing.

A block heater will be used whenever possible but cold starts will be inevitable.

Thanks for the help,

TF

·
Registered
212 Posts
I rec a little bit of looking over on BITOG (bobistheoilguy.com).... those fellas have this stuff down 'cold'... :)

as far as cold performers of most box store shelves, NOTHING pours like Mobile1 at low temps... other brands start to turn to syrup around the -15 mark, where M1 keeps pouring down to -50...

as far as 10w40 vs. 10w30, you're looking at it backwards... prior to the W is the Winter rate, hence the W... both oils pour as ten weight below temp, while at temp one has the viscosity of 40 and the other 30 weight... you'll want to look for 5w30/40, or even 0w30/40...

another for what it's worth: the technology of oil constantly improves, and the 30 is actually more advantageous than the 40 in many if not most cases, though the manufacturers of the engines are more likely to keep tradition as far as owners manuals go... for validation of this, many over the road trucking firms are using 30w in their very expensive heavy duty diesels.... so... don't get stuck on 40 weight just because the manual says to... I'm not so bold as to run 20, but the 30? It seems a better choice nowadays...

now... something else I would do if I were you: I'd get a bottle of RevX or Archoil9100 and run it for certain... nano technology has also came a long way and isn't a gimmick as it was before... the Archoil (what I prefer) has some ridiculous sheer strength, and that is precisely what you need when you're starting that engine cold... Sheer is defined by 'ability to cling to hard parts; aka "not fall off" hard parts while engine rests'... that layer of protection added to the oil is very significant.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts