The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a 2016 F250 King Ranch 4x4, crewcab short bed want to tow a light weight 5r under 30 feet and pin weight under 1300 avg,
how cab clearance with new style front cap with standard hitch not slider?
Anyone had one of the Keystone 2011 and up Cougar Lite 5r?
Run a low profile lid tool box any luck not hitting that when the 5r leans in a turn?
I know all about pin weight and GWVR so please no DRW suggestions been there done that :smile2:
thanks for looking

·
Registered
83 Posts
You will be fine...I have a buddy that pulls a large triple axel Cyclone with his 250 (yeah, he is overweight)...truck pulls it fine, he has a standard hitch, no slider. He opted for no slider due to him never using it in his last truck. As far as a toolbox...if it is rail mounted, I would be cautious of making too tight of a turn, as my 350 has about 6 inches of clearance between the bed rail and fiver...even if the toolbox is less than that, any translated deflection between the truck and trailer will cause the trailer to hit the toolbox.

Cale

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I wouldn't chance it unless the manufacturer gives it to you in writing that it won't hit. Everyone I know with a shortbed uses a slider.

·
Registered
240 Posts
As far as the trailer nose cap hitting the cab: All pics I've seen show the pin forward of the nose, so that should not be an issue. For turns, get out the tape measure. Check pin-to-side distance; that should be less than pin-to-cab distance.

Can't help with the toolbox. Depending on which hitch you install, the hitch height can be adjusted; the angle of the pin box may also be adjustable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Run a low profile lid tool box any luck not hitting that when the 5r leans in a turn?
Weatherguard makes one that is not higher than the bed rails and you can't beat their quality. Spendy but worth every penny compared to others:

Reactions: huntingbigun

·
Registered
869 Posts
I find that the curved front caps on many of the newer 5th wheels eliminate the need for a slider hitch. I had a Pull Rite Super Glide automatic sliding hitch on my former truck to tow my first 5th wheel & sold it to buy a non-sliding hitch when I bought my Big Horn 5er with the curved front cap. 'Didn't need the slider & gained a lot more room in the bed.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have the same Weatherguard box as LMJD and love it. Holds all I need to carry including my Honda generator. Best box I ever owned.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a slider, and pull a 34 ft 5th. I leave it in the side back position, my truck don't care. but it does not come even close to hitting when in the foreward position, unless backing up...

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I have a slider, and pull a 34 ft 5th. I leave it in the side back position, my truck don't care. but it does not come even close to hitting when in the foreward position, unless backing up...
If you look, in the "tow" position the king pin is where it's designed to be (over the axle). A 34' fiver probably has about 1900 lb king pin, moving that weight off the axle for extended times (towing) can't be good for all the components of the hitch or your truck's frame.... Just sayin.
Automatic sliders are designed to have the weight shift as needed, manual sliders are meant to be in the forward position for towing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for replies, just finishing up the steel building to house what I buy be time to decide soon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts