The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with my new to me 2019 F-250, I'm wondering about how to handle these types of climbs while towing. With my '96, the proven strategy was to drop into 2nd or even 1st gear and keep the RPM's in the 2700-2900 range for lower EGT's, transmission and engine temperatures. With slow speed limit (20-30 mph) and steep grades, should I at least drop out of 6th gear, perhaps go with manual shifting in gear 4 or lower?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Use the exhaust brake. It will automatically drop the gears for you. all you have to do is push on the brake peddle and it will shift down for you. If in the mountains if the transmission is shifting to much then lock out the upper gear. if going from 4th to 5th then lock 5 out as well. A transmission that shifts to much is hard on the clutches and will get hot. Towing is not a set it and forget it kind of thing. I just got back from a trip on !)! from Klamath Ca to Livermore. Lots of loooong hills and windy roads. 375 miles and it took me 7 hours. Took 8 to get there.

·
Registered
802 Posts
This is what Tow/Haul is for. Give it a try. You might like it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use the exhaust brake. It will automatically drop the gears for you. all you have to do is push on the brake peddle and it will shift down for you. If in the mountains if the transmission is shifting to much then lock out the upper gear. if going from 4th to 5th then lock 5 out as well. A transmission that shifts to much is hard on the clutches and will get hot. Towing is not a set it and forget it kind of thing. I just got back from a trip on !)! from Klamath Ca to Livermore. Lots of loooong hills and windy roads. 375 miles and it took me 7 hours. Took 8 to get there.
For sure, with the older trucks that was the idea with manually dropping into 2nd or 1st. I wonder if simply using tow/haul mode like edjunior suggested is more of a set and forget it approach. To be honest, for what I paid I would hope so.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what Tow/Haul is for. Give it a try. You might like it.
I have used tow/haul on some long and steep but high speed grades both climbing and descending and love the way it works, but have not used on the steep grades where speed limits/safety mean speeds <30 mph. I will be testing tomorrow!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this weekend's trip included 10+ miles of 6-8% grades at between 15-25 mph. Top speeds would have been closer to 30-35 if not for the fool in front of me who would not pull over. At any rate, ran in T/H mode and stayed out of "M" shifting. There were a few occasions where it felt like it was lugging a bit, but a touch of the accelerator pedal and I got a quick shift and acceleration. Ambient temps were about 85-95. Max engine temp about 219F, max transmission temp about 232F, and it did not stay there long. Overall pleased, but still think I would like to try manual shift and just stay in 3rd gear, maybe drop to 2nd periodically on a climb like this.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I did a few of these 6/7% hill climbs for a average of 3 miles long and i got no lower than 4th gear and no slower than 50/60 mph. I hate it when people don't pull over. I am always looking to see if I am holding up people but with my lead foot that isn't a problem. I just use the switch on the gearshift to go down and up in the gears. I rarely use M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts