The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 34' travel trailer that weighs 13660 lbs. loaded. I'm pulling it with a 1997 F-350 DRW. The combined weight is just under 22k which is 1k over the truck's GCWR. I don't want to sink any more money into the truck which is going to need a transmission eventually. I'm looking at 6.7 F-350's and would like to stick to a SRW which is rated at 14k for conventional towing. Just wanting to see if anyone is of has pulled at this weight with one of these trucks.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yes. Look at my signature & you will see that my last truck was an ‘05 F-350 SRW. I towed my last 5th wheel (14,000 pounds) with it & it did fine. Having said all that, I LOVE my ‘13 F-350 dually & I’m never going back to SRW again. I never felt unsafe or insecure with the SRW truck, but the DRW is just that much better. My present 5th wheel weighs 16,400 pounds loaded & ready to travel so I really believe that DRW is much better, maybe even necessary, for a rig that heavy. Hey, nobody ever complained about having too much truck.
In your case, I would only consider a SRW F-350 if there are parking issues or if you needed the short bed. Bear in mind that a long bed, either SRW or DRW, will have a larger fuel tank which is a really nice benefit as well.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Another vote for a dually. I tow a 24' car hauler that weights 10,000 lbs. I had a 99 SRW long bed and it did OK. I went to a 02 dually and it was night and day difference in stability. Towing became an effortless endeavor. Now, I have a 14 dually and holy crap! Not only do I have stability, but a motor, transmission and brakes that make it truly amazing. And, better mileage by about 30%.

Tom

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a 15 F250 SRW 4x4 and I have pulled my 34' Montana 30,000 miles without issue. Max load on sticker on trailer says 13,000 loaded, not sure if I get that heavy. I always travel with a full tank of fresh water. I have been across the U.S. twice from Ca. to Maine and from Ca to Florida. Been as far north as Mackinaw island and Niagara Falls in Canada to Portland Maine. South been to Galveston Texas and Disney World in Florida T have towed in wind and rain and my truck felt steady and had enough power to pull any mountain pass and I did a lot of that.
You don't need a DRW unless you need more load carrying capability. A DRW is not very practical for everyday driving way to big and way to long.
I would however go with a 15 or newer truck. The DEF is not that big of a deal. Just be careful you don't buy a deleted truck if you go used. You never know where the tune came from or if the tuner comes with the truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts