The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was recently towing my empty 14ft tandem dump trailer with my cruise on. I came up on a couple of smaller grades and the transmission down shifted and my boost went up to 28 psi and rpms to about 2500-3000. I have head studs and a egr delete. What's the odds of me lifting my heads and blowing my gaskets at that amount of boost? It was at that level for about 10-15 seconds.. I'm running a trans tune on my SCT tuner.. Thanks

· Premium Member
2,197 Posts
i know the 6.0 is different and have already issue with HG but i hit 25-30 PSI often on big hill when towing. if it was me, i would try no to do it to often with a 6.0.

IMO you shouldn't use the cruise when towing, even if its a small load.

· Registered
276 Posts
Were you towing with or without being in TOW mode on the trans?
Do you never get near the same boost reading when the trailer is loaded? In TOW mode the egt will be about 100 degrees lower (4th gear, 3K rpm, 28-29 boost).

At the downshifted RPM, you are making about 300hp with 520-540 ft/lbs torque. Max HP is at 3300 RPM with a rapid dropoff above that. Max RPM is around 3700 (*when the rods come out, back off a 100 :surprise:).

· Registered
33 Posts
You should be safe to around 32. 35 or more will probably lift a head. I wouldn't make a habit of it though, & DO use tow/haul, that's why it's there. Mine saw 30+ many times before I studded it & I never lifted a head, but I was tempting fate...

· Premium Member
4,504 Posts
You should be safe to around 32. 35 or more will probably lift a head. I wouldn't make a habit of it though, & DO use tow/haul, that's why it's there. Mine saw 30+ many times before I studded it & I never lifted a head, but I was tempting fate...
Is it actually a "Tow/Haul" mode on your trucks?

A true "Tow/Haul" mode changes shift patterns, reduces shift cycles, boosts torque and can even engage an engine breaking mode.

On my old, antique 2000 it is just an OD On/Off, meaning the ability to prevent it shifting into the highest gear.

· Premium Member
4,504 Posts
What was your RPM on the "flats" before it downshifted and jumped between 2500-3000?

Cheers

· Registered
276 Posts
Is it actually a "Tow/Haul" mode on your trucks?

A true "Tow/Haul" mode changes shift patterns, reduces shift cycles, boosts torque and can even engage an engine breaking mode.

On my old, antique 2000 it is just an OD On/Off, meaning the ability to prevent it shifting into the highest gear.
Yes: It is, it does, and it's great! As with yours, my '99 F250 SD only drops OD out of the mix; the 6.0, 6.4 (my '08 F350 DRW), and I assume the 6.7 has this feature.

Hopefully you meant "braking". :grin2:

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's another question.. Do you guys ever notice the coolant in your degas being at different levels when you look at it? Mines about a 1/16in lower than what it has been. Am I being too much of a worrier lol? Thanks

· Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Yes: It is, it does, and it's great! As with yours, my '99 F250 SD only drops OD out of the mix; the 6.0, 6.4 (my '08 F350 DRW), and I assume the 6.7 has this feature.

Hopefully you meant "braking". :grin2:
Ha. You got me. :grin2:

· Registered
447 Posts
Mine tows the same way as the OP if I leave it out of tow/haul mode. Even if i only have my unloaded flat bed trailer it acts like it waits too long to add fuel to it when it goes into a small hill and then has to downshift and then over exaggerates to compensates for the loss of speed. If I use the tow/haul mode it act more normal.

· Registered
33 Posts
Just re-read. You're already studded, I wouldn't sweat it. That minor a coolant loss is probably nothing too, keep it between the lines, not over & monitor.

· Registered
106 Posts
Here's another question.. Do you guys ever notice the coolant in your degas being at different levels when you look at it? Mines about a 1/16in lower than what it has been. Am I being too much of a worrier lol? Thanks
yes you are, the coolant level changes with temperature(expansion/ contraction) and even the ground your sitting on will change the level in the bottle by much more than 1/16th of an inch.....drive on!

PS...If you want your engine to perform at it's best get gauges, monitor the vitals and most importantly (to keep you happy with your 6.0)...STAY OFF THE INTERNET 6.0 FORUMS!

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes you are, the coolant level changes with temperature(expansion/ contraction) and even the ground your sitting on will change the level in the bottle by much more than 1/16th of an inch.....drive on!

PS...If you want your engine to perform at it's best get gauges, monitor the vitals and most importantly (to keep you happy with your 6.0)...STAY OFF THE INTERNET 6.0 FORUMS!
Thanks for the reply... Recently I changed my coolant filter. I dumped what was in the old filter into the new filter. And just drove it afterwards for a couple of weeks.. I noticed it was down from my mark.. So I added about 15 oz of distilled water.. I didn't think I would've lost any coolant by doing it this way... Normal or not??? Last question I promise lol....

· Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Thanks for the reply... Recently I changed my coolant filter. I dumped what was in the old filter into the new filter. And just drove it afterwards for a couple of weeks.. I noticed it was down from my mark.. So I added about 15 oz of distilled water.. I didn't think I would've lost any coolant by doing it this way... Normal or not??? Last question I promise lol....
I don't know that its a good practice to empty fluids from the old filter into the new filter because it can transfer particulates along with the fluid.

Another method might just be to replace filter and top back up with a 50/50 Coolant Mix. You could add this mix to your new filter before installing if you wish.

IF you are losing coolant for any reason then you will see a continuous drop in the de-gas level week after week. Only when the level continues dropping 1" or more is it worth investigating. Even then it could be a leaky hose or waterpump, etc..

I have found my own MIN/MAX marks are not quite accurate. I could top off to the MAX mark every day for a month but as soon as I drive it to operating temp for a couple days the level drops to 1/4" below MIN and stays there for months.

As was suggested, buy some gauges. They will keep you occupied and are far more exciting than watching coolant level.
:winking:

Reactions: Mcrafty1
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.