The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a forum for Toyota Tundras that offers a similar group of experts as this TDS forum?

We have a Tundra GenI with a blinking 4x4 light.

I am hoping its not the $850 Actuator Assembly.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Autoguide shows a forum just for Tundra's.

Tundrasolutions.com

I'm not a member some can't say one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Artic driver, I believe I remember there being a switch on the diff area that gets activated when it starts turning and works with the switch on transfer case but don't hold me to it. It sticks, gets corroded or other.
Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
11,834 Posts
I'm a member but hardly ever get on it anymore. It's mostly a bunch of goofy kids bragging how quick they can tear up a new pickup. As a member said, evidently it doesn't take brain power to get a new car loan nowadays. There IS a few common sense guys, so you might give it a try. You didn't say if you're talking about 4X4 Low or High. If it's Low range and the engine and trans are very cold, Low range won't engage until the trans is warmed up a bit. Believe it or not, there's some type of wax component in the valve body (or wherever) that has to warm up and soften before 4 Low will engage. I used to know what its function was, but I can't recall. Even when warm, mine is sometimes tricky to engage, when stopped I have to dink around from in gear to neutral for it to engage. Not so with High range, it goes in and out going down the road fine. However, the owners' manual states High 4X4 won't engage if speed is over 50 or thereabouts. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a member but hardly ever get on it anymore. It's mostly a bunch of goofy kids bragging how quick they can tear up a new pickup. As a member said, evidently it doesn't take brain power to get a new car loan nowadays. There IS a few common sense guys, so you might give it a try. You didn't say if you're talking about 4X4 Low or High. If it's Low range and the engine and trans are very cold, Low range won't engage until the trans is warmed up a bit. Believe it or not, there's some type of wax component in the valve body (or wherever) that has to warm up and soften before 4 Low will engage. I used to know what its function was, but I can't recall. Even when warm, mine is sometimes tricky to engage, when stopped I have to dink around from in gear to neutral for it to engage. Not so with High range, it goes in and out going down the road fine. However, the owners' manual states High 4X4 won't engage if speed is over 50 or thereabouts. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the insights.

Its a family members truck in another part of the State. Apparently, truck 4x4 is used regularly each snowfall in 4-HI but this time the 4x4 light started flashing when attempt was made to disengage to 2-HI.

It is described to me as feeling like its in 2-HI when switched to 2-HI and feels like 4-HI when switched to 4-HI but while troubleshooting, it will not engage to 4-LO. The light blinks continuously in ALL positions.

A shop had just installed a new catalytic converter the day previous but could just be coincidence.

I have read that the Actuator attached to the Transfer Case (what Nick had mentioned) is recognized to fail but at $850 replacement cost, I am hoping its not that :winking:

Thanks again to everybody for the assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts