The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost trailer brakes and used volt meter to measure voltage out of back of 2002 f350 diesel plug in for lights and brakes and showed 12 volts to the trailer brake terminal when I activated the manual control on the brake controller. No brakes. Checked continuitity on trailer brake wire and ground and both good. I have in the past had lights and turn signals and still no trailer brakes because the plug was not making good enough contact for the brakes which require more to run than the lights. Still have the factory plug at the rear of my truck. Am thinking of replacing it. Any suggestions appreciated.....

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
What happens when you apply 12volts directly to the brake wire on the trailer?

Just could be a bad ground on the brake drums.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What happens when you apply 12volts directly to the brake wire on the trailer?

Just could be a bad ground on the brake drums.

I applied the 12 volts at the trailer plug with ground and got no brakes. Is each drum individually grounded and if so I need to check all grounds on all 4 trailer wheels??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
You may have a separate ground wire to each brake drum or you may not. On my trailer there is just a jumper wire going from the trailer frame to the axle for the ground on the brakes

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Travel trailers (RV's) don't have separate grounds.

·
Registered
628 Posts
May have a shorted magnet taking out you whole system too! Ohm out each magnet individually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts