The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the freeway about 75 with not pulling a load. All the sudden I start slowing down, I push the accelerator and the engine revs but no engagement. I put the tran in neutral rev'd the motor then slipped back into drive and all was good again. Tran fluid is at proper level and still red. This happened a couple of times during a 60 mile trip. Any help would be appreciated. It's a 2001 7.3 with about 130k, I'm the second owner.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
Do you have any slop in the shifter? I would get down under the column and look for a couple of torx bolts (see picture below) and make sure they are tight.

shifter bolts.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
RT,

Thanks for the reply. I tightened those bolt about 6 months ago so I don't think is has anything to do with the gear selector.

I looking at a few other posts there were a couple that talked about feed bolt, I think thats what they called them, inside the tran that may come loose. Would this be a possibility for the issue with my truck?

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
You'll have to wait for Mark to chime in. It would be interesting to watch AE while this is happening so you would know if it was electrical - such as solenoids commanded to do something different than what you were expecting - versus mechanical.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
I don't think it is the feed bolts. If they were loose you'd have a problem all the time, or at least any time the trans was warmed up.

My guess is that your TRS (Transmission Range Sensor) is failing. That's just a guess, and it is really, really hard to diagnose a bad TRS. It almost never sets a fault code for this type of failure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark,
Thank for the guidance. I start looking in the direction of the TRS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to Mark I believe the problem is solved after replacing the TRS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts