The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, OK, so I'm halfway through installing a new SD Intercooler on my 96. All the brackets are made all that's left is bolt on the IC and get some banks tubing. The previous hayden 10x15" Black trans cooler might be replaced by my new silver colored hayden cooler if I decide to put it in front of the intercooler. I could mount the old black trans cooler behind the AC condenser just in front of the radiator, or I could put the new silver one in front of the new intercooler. My transmission does not run hot, I hardly see the needle past 175 pulling the skis. I know the superdutys have the condenser and the tranny cooler in front of the intercooler. Sorry for the long post, my question is: Will I see a difference in EGT and/or trans temp depending on either of the two mounting locations? Any of your best guesses would be appreciated, thanks.
-Pat

· Registered
296 Posts
Window,
here is what I noticed by putting mine in my 02. I know the config is a bit different but I think that the airflow could be a consideration. Not that my rig runs hot now but the temp gage went up a dot. I mounted it as low as I could to retain the most airflow I could muster. tranny temps stay way down with the 6.0 cooler but becasue I robbed a little airflow to feed it, the radiator gets a bit less.. the intercooler on mine did not take a hit.. or one that I notice through gages (heat) or power. Again,I know it is a bit different as I also owned a 96 SD but it was something I thought worth mentioning.

· Registered
563 Posts
When I did mine I just got a long piece of aluminium (1/4"X1 1/4") strap and ran it between the upper bumper mount bolts and mounted my tranny cooler to it directly behind the opening in the bumper. So far so good.

· Registered
1,380 Posts

My trucool has been in front of my intercooler about three years. I wanted the tranny cooler to see the best air possible during heavy towing. I've never seen temps above 150* except for 180* on 3 back to back passes @ the drag strip. Absolutely no adverse effects on water temps during mountainous heavy towing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.