21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Gotcha - thanks.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Everything was fine for the month & a half since the flush, so I didn't even think to bring the OBD2 adapter on this trip. I pulled the empty 3Kip trailer 200 miles (mostly back roads), loaded the Xterra, and came back by a different route. Around halfway home, the CEL came on (while pulling through some STEEP hills on dirt roads), but there was no obvious problem, so I just slowed down some. Now that I have the truck on the lift for U-joints, gauges, dash, etc., I can see the whole underbelly is damp with ATF dripping out of the bellhousing, so I guess it needs a front pump seal.

(click this text)

I cleaned the EBP a year ago, so IDK why that fault would have appeared now.

(click this text)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I haven't driven the truck much since that previous post, or figured out why it would throw those codes.

But I pulled the t-case & trans to change the front pump seal. When I took the nuts off the flexplate, it took a little more effort than usual to push the torque converter back, but it did slide. Now that the trans is down, I can NOT get the TC out of the bellhousing. There's barely enough room to get my hands behind it, but it's not sliding. I've pulled a dozen or more torque converters in the past on every kind of passenger vehicle & light truck, and I'm not a small guy. But this thing really doesn't want to move. I even tried with a couple of prybars. There's not much room for them, and I can't pry hard on the transmission jack, but it's really hanging on.

I'm about to put a safety wire on it so it can't hit the floor if it pops out, but I still haven't come up with a good way to really pull it inline with the shaft. Any suggestions? Is there some reason it's stuck (damage, wear, contamination) or is it just random bad luck?

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Any way to rig up kind of a giant gear puller type setup? I've never had to do it, so just thinking out loud. Cheers!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Many years ago I bought a 02 Exploder 4.0 that needed an new motor due to lack of maintanance (mainly oil changes) one of the timing chains went out. As my buddy that installs Jasper engines was installing the rebuilt motor, he could not get the motor to mate up to the trans right He soon found out that the shop that rebuilt the transmission before I bought the POS had installed the input shaft in reverse order. As it was stated to me you can either slide it in with no effort or beat it in with a hammer. They beat it in with a hammer! Luckily I have a good transmission guy that knew what had happened. I now have a hole in the trans casing where he had to get in there to get the Torque Converter off. 1000 plus bucks later I now have a transmission that is put together right and properly functioning. Just my experience with stuck TC's, hope this is not your case. I am sure that Mark will know what is going on.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Typing that question seemed to clear a few cobwebs out, and I came up with a simple, quick setup:

(click this text)

That was great for a few seconds... Then I took a 2nd look at the flexplate...

(click this text)

I always assume fine red rust powder is from steel parts barely moving against each other, and that turned out to be true here:

(click this text)

Is the Ford F6TZ-6375-AAA for ~$130 total shipped (from RockAuto or FordPartsGiant) the best replacement? This $99 ebay listing claims to be a Ford part, but I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I personally would go with Rock Auto or Parts Giant. With parts like this that require lots of time and work to install I prefer a trusted seller to supply the parts. The ebay one maybe fine but I would not want to find out the hard way that is not.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
The F6TZ6375AAA is available at AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake for $106.72 (list is $162.88). There's also the Dieselsite E4OD/4R100 Billet FlexPlate, although it's expensive (and out-of-stock) at $495. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
...White Bear Lake for $106.72...
That's the same as FPG before tax & shipping to Memphis. But their shipping is higher, so FPG's total is lower.
...Billet FlexPlate, although it's expensive (and out-of-stock) at $495.
Billet is just marketing jargon. It doesn't actually apply to rolled & stamped parts like this because rolling & stamping turn everything into billet.
I personally would go with Rock Auto...
With the coupon code, their total is actually ~$126, so it's ordered now.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts