The Diesel Stop banner

Trans oil brands

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  cyclone3565 
#1 ·
My dealer wants $12.79 per liter for Mercon SP. The mechanic doesn't know that you can use Mercon Lv now. I'm going to drain the oil and change the external filter and would like to know if there is a aftermarket oil that will work without screwing up the trans? While searching I found a thread where Mark said " I only recommend MERCON SP or MERCON LV for the TorqShift. Anything else has the potential to do very expensive damage to the trans and/or solenoids." Does that mean ford oil only?

Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc says it is compatable with Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon SP and Mercon LV. It is only $22 at Wally World for 5 liters.

#3 ·
No, it does not mean Ford oil only. There are several oils that have a MERCON SP or MERCON LV rating. Read the labels.

#4 ·
MERCON SP replaced MERCON LV, when was the last time you changed the internal filter or "screen"?[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the other way around? Ford did a 9 liter service and changed the "screen". It only has 86000 miles on it and if the "screen" only catches chunks I'm going to leave it this time.

#6 ·
Not wanting to hijack but Mark...what is your opinon on aftermarket pans like Mag Hytek. I need to do a fluid change also. Just wonderin???

#7 ·
Those large pans are a good way to spend extra money. There, I kept it positive!

The only other advantage that I know of is that they look cool. They don't cool the fluid, though. You need a transmission cooler to cool the fluid.

#8 ·
Those large pans are a good way to spend extra money. There, I kept it positive!

The only other advantage that I know of is that they look cool. They don't cool the fluid, though. You need a transmission cooler to cool the fluid.
Your honesty is MUCH appreciated. I have a hard enough time keepin the cash in my wallet, so I like to use it for the meaningful stuff.:thumbsup: You dont think the extra fluid volume is any big asset???

#9 ·
First off there are multiple brands that claim to be compatible with the Mercon SP. I would say that if its a reputable dealer/brand then it should be fine and they should stand behind their product. However if something does go wrong and they don't stand behind it then it will get very expensive very fast. $12 dollars a quart is a lot but its cheap compared to a tear down and rebuild.

As far as the filter goes there should be an external filter on the Torque Shifts on the R/side of the motor up near the radiator. Around the shop we called it a "toilet paper filter" due to the fact that when you take it out of the box it looks like a small roll of TP. This one will actually catch deposits and not just the chunks that the screen catches. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

#11 ·
I personally try to stick with Motorcraft parts and fluids (other than oil - like my synthetic) as much as possible. 163k no issues

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.