The Diesel Stop banner

Trans oil brands

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  cyclone3565 
#1 ·
My dealer wants $12.79 per liter for Mercon SP. The mechanic doesn't know that you can use Mercon Lv now. I'm going to drain the oil and change the external filter and would like to know if there is a aftermarket oil that will work without screwing up the trans? While searching I found a thread where Mark said " I only recommend MERCON SP or MERCON LV for the TorqShift. Anything else has the potential to do very expensive damage to the trans and/or solenoids." Does that mean ford oil only?

Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc says it is compatable with Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon SP and Mercon LV. It is only $22 at Wally World for 5 liters.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
MERCON SP replaced MERCON LV, when was the last time you changed the internal filter or "screen"?[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the other way around? Ford did a 9 liter service and changed the "screen". It only has 86000 miles on it and if the "screen" only catches chunks I'm going to leave it this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.