The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! So I'm in need of a new trans and wanted to see what you guys opinoins are of this site and their trans. The site is AutoPartsWarehouse and you can get a rebuild for about $1700 best part is its free shipping both ways so I save on the core shipping but are they any good here and are they in fact HD trans?

I had planned to get the 4R100 with a upgraded torque converter from MontserTransmissions. What do you guys suggest be a good one?

Thanks!

Btw new to the club!

·
Premium Member
15,098 Posts
3 year unlimited warranty on one hand. On the other, the parts alone cost more than $1700 for a truly heavy duty rebuild. What exactly are you going to be doing with the transmission? Any towing or other heavy hauling? If so, you're looking more in the $5000+ range for a truly heavy duty rebuilt. If you're driving an overpowered grocery getter - this might work. What's wrong with your current transmission?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On ocasians use my car trailer or haul a enclosed trailer cross country. Even at MonsterTramsmissions the price are similar and have a superduty option but charge $350 to ship the core so figured I get the trans from Auto parts wearhouse and get there upgraded torque converter for Monster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Look close at the Monster transmission website. I was leaning that way 2 weeks ago, but when you read the details of their transmissions, there were low recommended torque numbers for the less expensive options. I believe they were below the factory torque outputs of the 7.3l. I talked to them twice about this and they basically said I should by the $3500 transmission, plus shipping of course. At that point I decided to move on. I wanted to get a BTS, but he was backlogged until mid December and I couldn't wait that long. I ended up getting a factory rebuild through America & Import auto parts out of Michigan. The transmission came from AER in Texas and was dropped shipped to my house. AER remanufactures engines and transmissions for OEM companies such as Ford and GM. They had a 3 yr/100k mile warranty. The total, shipped and including core was $2650. I plan on taking my core down to BTS after the 3 yr warranty, then selling my good transmission out of the truck. The core was $700 and return shipping was built in to the price. So you could have a factory rebuild transmission for $1950, shipped to your door. I wish I would have seen one for $1700. But overall, I was really pleased with their service. I got the transmission in Ohio 3 days after I ordered it from them. And $150 for shipping both ways didn't seem too bad at all. Talk to David there, he was really helpful. This is my daily driver and I was only down for a week. I couldn't afford to not drive it much longer than that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
One more thing, at the time, these were shipping with billet torque converters. I was told by AER that their supplier had run out of factory rebuilds so the were sending them billet for now. That was normally a $300 upgrade.

·
Registered
628 Posts
About 2 years ago I toasted my transmission and was about 500 miles from home so I was at the mercy of a small town mechanic. He came up with 2 option for me. A ford reman or one from LKQ. The LKQ could get there sooner so I went with it. 3 yr 100k mi warranty. Parts and labor were right at $3500. 50 mi down the road the new one quit! I was already a week in a hotel down so I had someone come after my trailer and I babied the truck home. It took a couple weeks of arguing with LKQ to get them to send me a replacement, and another couple weeks for them to get it to me! And I am still not happy with this one! It doesn't shift the same as the old one and still hiccups from time to time.

·
Registered
947 Posts
For a daily driver type without too much need for handling high power mods and sounds like money is tight, then I'd say that you'd be happy with a Ford HD remanufactured. Order from a place like AutoNation Ford (formally Tousley) 3year/100K IIRC.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Where are you located? I put in a john woods last year and very happy with it.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts