The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 1990 f250 4x4 7.3 idi, with a e4od that has about 15k miles on it. I also have a 1985 4x4 6.9 idi, and it has the c6 in it which is slipping in 3rd. I was thinking about swapping trans cause the 6.9 is our project/restoration and it would be nice in the road truck ya know? even though its got 3.55 rear end gears and 35s, the rpms are still a bit to high and annoying. so anyways, my question is what all comes out with the e4od and is it hard to switch it in the other truck. and is there vacuum going to it like there is the c6?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Your going to need the trans computer, and the FIPL from the IP at the least. Probably the flex plate, but I'm sure someone with more info will chime in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the computer up by the IP considered the TPS? it uses that instead of the VRV like on the c6

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
The trans computer is located behind the drivers side fender well. The part on the IP is like a TPS.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
^^^ That's the TCM, the only computer on the truck (well, it might have a cruise control module). And there's no place for it in the '85 cab; you'll have some fabricating to do. You'll also need some way to send a digital speed signal to the TCM, which the '85 won't be able to provide. And of course a shifter with an OD switch, which may require a complete column swap. If you really just want to get the RPMs down on the highway (I can sympathize; running T19 on my '85...), the simplest swap would be a ZF5.

What's wrong with the 1990 truck, that you wouldn't want to keep driving it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The OD switch could be on a button or toggle switch like it is stock in the 1990. I thought the 90 speedo was on a cable like 85 was? zf5 would be cool and all but then id need pedals and slave cylinder and what not. and I already have the e4od which is practically new. the 85 has a brand new rebuilt 6.9, 1996 dana 60 and 80. lift kit, heavy duty springs. wheels and tires. newish paint. the 90 is rusted out and is a work truck so it wouldn't need the OD much. im wanting the 85 as a "daily driver"

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
You need a stand alone E4OD controller like a Bauman controller. Otherwise you need the whole 90 wire harness and all the controllers.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I thought the 90 speedo was on a cable like 85 was?
Yeah, come to think of it, the speedo itself is mechanical on a cable, but IIRC that cable fitting at the tranny / t-case has a sensor on it that sends the speed signal to the E4OD controller (whether stand-alone or a TECA/TCM or whatever). The '85 will have a completely mechanical setup, and the E4OD needs an electronic speed signal from somewhere (that's what the E stands for....).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, come to think of it, the speedo itself is mechanical on a cable, but IIRC that cable fitting at the tranny / t-case has a sensor on it that sends the speed signal to the E4OD controller (that's what the E stands for....).

Whats the IIRC? and I always thought e4od stood for electronic Fourth over drive...

·
Registered
101 Posts
If I Recall Correctly (IIRC)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Whats the IIRC? and I always thought e4od stood for electronic Fourth over drive...
It stands for Electronic 4-speed overdrive. It's not a mechanically-controlled transmission with an electronic overdrive. It's a completely electronically-controlled transmission. Without an electronic controller (either stand-alone or stock), and the input sensors that controller requires, the tranny won't shift properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts