The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my auto meter trans temp gauge installed. Compared to my baumann tcu controller reading which I believe reads temp from the solenoid pack, I have a 40-45* lower temp reading from my auto meter gauge. Interesting.

The sending unit for the gauge is in a preset bung in the side of my derale trans pan. Guess maybe that is a bad thing to use since it is near the bottom of the pan.

Anybody experience this?

·
Super Moderator
11,717 Posts
What you are seeing is normal. The pan is the coolest place in the transmission to read the temperatures. If you were to install the sender in the test port on the driver's side of the trans you would cut the difference by about half.

It is also possible that your controller doesn't have the proper transfer function to accurately read the temp sensor on the solenoid body. I don't know if it does or it doesn't, I'm just adding something for you to worry about. :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've heard of quite a few ppl using the test port for trans temp. Probably the better idea. That is def an impressive difference. Should probably never use the pan as a place to get trans temp!

·
Super Moderator
11,717 Posts
I wouldn't use the pan to read trans temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts