The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to installing my Transgo Tugger Kit today, and it was well worth the money.

The instructions were pretty comprehensive, but it helps if you have the right tools. I did everything that I could without removing the transmission. I ended up filing a allen wrench down to push all the springs and accessories out of the different valve bodies and that helped A LOT. Had a few problems and Brian (BTS) and the transgo techs helped out a whole bunch, could not of done it without them. Brian was very compreshensive and detailed and offered help on anything I needed.

I had the DP Tuner for a few weeks, and last time I talked to Jody, he was very stearn in saying I needed to install the Tugger kit ASAP, because he set the tunes up for it. I must say that it shifts EXCELLENT NOW. I now know why he was so adiment about me getting it installed. Can't wait to hook up to the 10k lb. 5th wheel in a few weeks and see how the 60 hp tow tune does.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have one that I need to put in. How hard is it the instructions do not seem very easy. Do you have any links or tips that can help me

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/syo/syo71019.htm

this link helped alot with disassebmling everything. The transgo instructions helped me change the parts in the individual valve bodies. I took everything off except the plate that holds the check balls in. I changed all the springs in the different valve bodies. Then too the plate off drilled the larger holes and everything. Put it back in and then assembled everything back together. The hardest thing to me was installing the orfice in the plate (Page 4 on tugger instructions) and getting all the springs and stuff out of the valve bodies. I grinded down a small allen wrench and used that to push all the springs and accessories out of the valve bodies. The solenoid pack did not want to come out, so I used a flat head screw driver VERY CAREFULLY and wiggled it back and forth to get it out. I have never ever done anything with a transmission. I do have mechanical intelligence. I started at 9 am and was finshed and test driving at 2 pm. I would definetly have the phone number to Brian (BTS) and Transgo Tech support handy. I each one of them once and they were very descriptive on what I needed to do. If and when you do it, you can call me and I will help out in any way at anytime. I live in Florida, if your close, I could even help. 352-516-5756. Now that I have done one, I would not hesitate to do it again. I got everything correct the first time, and don't have any issues with mine. If I had it all over to do again, I would do it myself. Now I am not going to lie, I was a little nervous when I was taking everything apart and all. Main thing is DOUBLE CHECK everything.

Other tranny guys might chime in to help. With my mods, I drilled holes, .110 (2nd) .078 (3rd) .093 (4th).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks I really appreciate this. I do not know when I am going to start the project. I will deffinately give you a call if I need help Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you jody programmed your tuner for the transgo, I would recommend it soon, because you just don't know how much it helps. I wish I would of done the transgo before the tuner now.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I also installed this kit. I removed the trans and removed the pump and coast clutch and installed the new blow proof snap ring. I also purchased the valve kit to improve the lock up on the torque convertor but I do NOT recomend it for heavy towing as it locks up waaay to harsh when towing. Other than that the kit is fantastic and a huge improvement over stock. I think I drilled my plate for a V8 gas motor and I love the way it shifts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I also have the Tugger kit and plan to onstall the new pump springs and snap rings. Is there any additional parts you needed like seals or gaskets that aren't in the kit?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
filter assembly inside the transmission. I didn't realize it until I dropped it and it was already to late. I only did the valve body mods, I didn't do the pump mod, so not sure about that.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You may need pump gasket and o-ring and front seal. Be very careful if you remove the coast clutch becasue there is a sprag clutch inside that you can ruin if you dont install it correctly. Also you need a pump puller or 2 slide hammers to remove the pump. If your not a mechanic I would get someone who knows what to do, it might save you a lot of $.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey guys i recently bought a late 99 250 4x4...and have been looking around at trannys before i get my DP tuner....i was set on gettign the BTS trans, but i dont think im gunna have enough money right now for it...i started lookin at the suncoast and i see they are 2570bucks for the ttrans on their site....does this include a torque converter as well, or do u have to drop another 1500 on one equally the price of a BTS? thanks guys

geoff

·
Registered
285 Posts
The price for the Suncoast trans does not include the torque convertor. And then there are the add ons(billet input shaft, etc.).
You will spend more on the trans and convertor alone from Suncoast than you will for the BTS trans installed at BTS. I have owned both and will have a BTS from now on.

Huck

·
Registered
151 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You may need pump gasket and o-ring and front seal. Be very careful if you remove the coast clutch becasue there is a sprag clutch inside that you can ruin if you dont install it correctly. Also you need a pump puller or 2 slide hammers to remove the pump. If your not a mechanic I would get someone who knows what to do, it might save you a lot of $.

[/ QUOTE ] Would I be just as well of to install the VB part of the kit since I already have 115k on the trans? I have a lot of mechanical knowlage but very little as far as transmitions go, it's like going to your MD to get a face lift( more of a specialty ). I worry about the crappy snap rings in the 4th clutch but I'm not sure the trans will live that much longer anyway. I'm just trying to help it live one or two more years untill I can swing for a complete trans.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
116k miles on my tranny when i changed it. installing a vb would be easy compared to installing the transgo tugger kit. IMHO.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The price for the Suncoast trans does not include the torque convertor. And then there are the add ons(billet input shaft, etc.).
You will spend more on the trans and convertor alone from Suncoast than you will for the BTS trans installed at BTS. I have owned both and will have a BTS from now on.

Huck

[/ QUOTE ]

BS, the Suncoast is as good and even better than the BTS, and you don't have to go to Arkansas to get one. There are more Suncoast tranny's and TC's on diesel race and pull rigs than any other tranny system. Suncaost has dealers all over the US and you can get one overnight, AND they answer their phone and talk to you in less than 3 weeks.

www.suncoastconverters.com

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called BTS last friday and talked to Brian.

·
Registered
285 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Suncaost has dealers all over the US ...

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you find one of these dealers, Pappy? There's certainly no "dealer locator" on the Suncoast web site.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Just give them a call. By the time you get up in Walnutland, they are open in Florida, so you should ask them who their Suncoast dealer is near to you. I was in Arizona when mine went out, and I called them and they gave me their dealer in Mesa. In 2 days, I was back in business and that was 121k ago.

·
Registered
285 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Just give them a call. By the time you get up in Walnutland, they are open in Florida, so you should ask them who their Suncoast dealer is near to you. I was in Arizona when mine went out, and I called them and they gave me their dealer in Mesa. In 2 days, I was back in business and that was 121k ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? You mean I should use a telephone???!!!! How quaint! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
No.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts