The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys am wondering which port the transmission oil comes out of the transmission to the cooler? It is a 1997 Power Stroke with auto . I am setting up transmission oil coolers and would like liquid to liquid first(in the radiator ), then my two air to liquid then back to the auto ?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,213 Posts
Out of the front- returns to the rear.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
That was going to be my answer, too. But this diagram disagrees...

Notice the descriptions of 130 & 133 in its caption. That's from the service manual, but I've found MANY errors in the manual before.

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
The diagram is wrong. If you read that link it also talks about the danger of changing ATF. It's wron there, too.

The fluid leaves the trans from the front fitting and returns to the rear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys .....I gess I will have to trust a ford Automatic Transmission Engineer......Is 300 psi oil resistant hose strong enough do you think ? I don't think that the oil cooler gets full pressure that the talk converter would ?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
Thanks guys .....I gess I will have to trust a ford Automatic Transmission Engineer......Is 300 psi oil resistant hose strong enough do you think ? I don't think that the oil cooler gets full pressure that the talk converter would ?
Thanks
300 PSI is more than enough for the cooler line. The torque converter is limited to 120 PSI, and the cooler flow comes from that. But the converter flow doesn't all go through the cooler, so you should never see as high as 120 PSI in the cooler.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mark and ArcticDriver for your replies. can you believe the previous owner went through three transmissions on the 4x4......the wheel size calibration had never been changed and larger wheels were put on.......She kicked in to gears like a wild bronco until I re-calibrated her.

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
That shouldn't make any difference. The only thing the calibration changes is the speedometer reading. The transmission really is only looking at the axle RPM, actual vehicle speed is not relevant.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
PSOM calibration has a BIG impact on shift points in the E4OD & 4R70W because they're EEC/PCM-controled slushboxes. The axle sensor (RABS) is connected to the PSOM; not directly to the EEC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool , a controversy :smile2:........ I haven't taken the power stroke for a run since the PSOM recalibration ( due to waiting for parts from the states ),but from what I have read in forums it should have fixed the harsh gear changes and hanging on.
Thankyou for your replies guys.

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
That shouldn't make any difference. The only thing the calibration changes is the speedometer reading. The transmission really is only looking at the axle RPM, actual vehicle speed is not relevant.
I got this thread and another confused in my mind. What I wrote above applies to the '99 and newer, not to this truck. Sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts