The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about an external filtration setup by DieselSite and was wondering your thoughts on installing one ?
I just bought the truck and it has a Coolant filtration already on her, so I might buy and install the Transmission one.
Thanks.

01 F-350 7.3 DRW LB 4x4 6 Speed

·
Super Moderator
11,711 Posts
I don't think it's worth it on a manual trans.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I just ordered the Dieselsite kit for my 02' ZF6 on Friday. I plan on doing a ISO 4406 cleanliness test through Caterpillar before and a while after. That will tell us if indeed the fluid is significantly cleaner.

Whether or not it increases the service of the transmission is another story.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered the Dieselsite kit for my 02' ZF6 on Friday. I plan on doing a ISO 4406 cleanliness test through Caterpillar before and a while after. That will tell us if indeed the fluid is significantly cleaner.

Whether or not it increases the service of the transmission is another story.
I'd love to hear the results, thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I also have read that installing a temp gauge on the 6 spd isn't necessary ?
I was thinking of doing that also but not now....
Not sure what you guys thought about that ?

·
Super Moderator
11,711 Posts
I just ordered the Dieselsite kit for my 02' ZF6 on Friday.
Is there enough pressure in the cooling lines to force the fluid through the filter? I don't know the answer to this, but you will need to know. I do know for the auto trans, but not the manual trans.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You could. A lot of over the road trucks have gauges for manual transmissions and final drives.

But...

I really don't know what its going to tell you. If the tranny heats up out of normal range there are only two reason:
- You are WAY overloading it. Huge power, towing beyond capacity (remember these are in 450s, 550s and 650's) So think 20k lbs+. And you'll be smoking U joints first.
- There is something broken inside. You'll feel/hear it before you'll notice the temp climbing I think.

That ZF6 is pretty stout. I'd keep a really good synthetic ATF in it and avoid jamming into gear. There is also some secret recipes for a fluid that actually quiets it down some, but you'll have to do a search.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd keep a really good synthetic ATF in it and avoid jamming into gear.
I'm gonna be changing all of the fluids in her to get a baseline.
What ATF do you recommend? I know Mercon V but a particular brand?
A friend loves Amsoil but DAMN, the price though...smh

·
Super Moderator
11,711 Posts
AMSOIL isn't MERCON V. I like Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It is MERCON V.

·
Registered
443 Posts
k is it all right to run 75w-80 Manual trans fluid in a 02 6spd

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Uh, not at all. You didn't read the above?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I know someone with 400k miles on his zf6. Aside from new synchros it's solid.

He ran the cocktail of fluids but had better results with redline fluid.

Was mercon V out in 98 when the zf6 came out?

In the end the zf6 isn't super picky on fluid. As long as it's a quality mercon aft fluid

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know someone with 400k miles on his zf6. Aside from new synchros it's solid.

He ran the cocktail of fluids but had better results with redline fluid.

Was mercon V out in 98 when the zf6 came out?

In the end the zf6 isn't super picky on fluid. As long as it's a quality mercon aft fluid
Redline ? Sorry I'm a noob ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does the ZF6 have a filter ?
I am also gonna change the transfer case fluid, replace it with Mercon V also correct ?
(I know that's a "palm to forehead" question but had to ask ?)
I wanna make sure this truck gets me another 200k so I'm gonna treat her right ??

·
Super Moderator
11,711 Posts
Redline is a brand of fluids.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'll toss my lot into this fray, I got an 88 with a C6 auto, I put in a parker LFS and been very happy with the improvement of the fluid condition after heavy towing. Normaly by now my fluid would be showing signs of age, but atm it is still clear red. So the filter has certainly helped in keeping things clean.

In a manual how ever I would not see much of a point as you aren't dealing with clutch packs inside of the oil reserve/sump! Just a good high powered magnet inside the sump would do it well I'd imagine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll toss my lot into this fray, I got an 88 with a C6 auto, I put in a parker LFS and been very happy with the improvement of the fluid condition after heavy towing. Normaly by now my fluid would be showing signs of age, but atm it is still clear red. So the filter has certainly helped in keeping things clean.

In a manual how ever I would not see much of a point as you aren't dealing with clutch packs inside of the oil reserve/sump! Just a good high powered magnet inside the sump would do it well I'd imagine.
Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with filtered fluids is that no matter how clean you keep the fluid, some oil additives will be consumed over time. Obviously, the clean fluid will help, but it should not preclude regular fluid changes. I'd be more inclined to change out the trans fluid on a regular basis (which could not be easier) and add a filter to the return side of the power steering system which is harder to drain and re-fill.

I had Valvoline Semi-Synthetic High Mileage ATF in my truck before some case and clutch work, which seemed to smooth my shifts out and quiet the beast just slightly. After the work, I have the shop supplied ATF (cheapest stuff most likely) in there now and its back to tough shifts into second gear and general noise. I'll go to a Redline or Mobil 1 ATF soon, but after a few needed repairs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts