The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One thing to keep in mind with filtered fluids is that no matter how clean you keep the fluid, some oil additives will be consumed over time. Obviously, the clean fluid will help, but it should not preclude regular fluid changes. I'd be more inclined to change out the trans fluid on a regular basis (which could not be easier) and add a filter to the return side of the power steering system which is harder to drain and re-fill.

I had Valvoline Semi-Synthetic High Mileage ATF in my truck before some case and clutch work, which seemed to smooth my shifts out and quiet the beast just slightly. After the work, I have the shop supplied ATF (cheapest stuff most likely) in there now and its back to tough shifts into second gear and general noise. I'll go to a Redline or Mobil 1 ATF soon, but after a few needed repairs.
Yeah that makes sense. The power steering fluid is like chocolate milk :(
I plan on flushing that along with my brake fluid also.
Now about the fluid...you recommend Redline or Mobile 1 over Mororcraft Mercon V from the dealer ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Redline makes a specific manual trans lube (MTL) that is the same viscosity as ATF, but designed specifically for manual transmissions that spec ATF. I'd like to try that in the ZF.

And Mobil 1 is just a really good ATF.

I've found that the good synthetic fluids tend to cling better and have better shifting when cold. Less noisy too. Some people don't notice a difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Redline makes a specific manual trans lube (MTL) that is the same viscosity as ATF, but designed specifically for manual transmissions that spec ATF. I'd like to try that in the ZF.

And Mobil 1 is just a really good ATF.

I've found that the good synthetic fluids tend to cling better and have better shifting when cold. Less noisy too. Some people don't notice a difference.
Good info thx

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm presently running Royal Purple Synchromax, which is a special fluid engineered for manuals that call for ATF. I like it a lot more than straight Mobil 1 ATF in my ZF6

I got my filter kit this past week but haven't had time to install it.

I'm going to use Caterpillar SOS for the fluid analysis and cleanliness testing. I've already sent in a virgin sample. Then I'll take a present (unfiltered) sample. And after running the filter for a while, I'll take a third sample.
Is there enough pressure in the cooling lines to force the fluid through the filter? I don't know the answer to this, but you will need to know. I do know for the auto trans, but not the manual trans.
Good question. I assume (we know what can happen when you do that) that the pump is a positive displacement type. I got the optional Dieselsite pressure gauge, so it'll give some feedback.

·
Super Moderator
25,411 Posts
I'll throw in my 2c here.

The ZF-6 has a fine mesh metallic sock on the inlet of the pump, which is a internal gear type very similar to the LPOP on the 7.3L engine. So it has plenty of pressure capability to push fluid thru a filter. There is also a magnet on the bottom of the case to pick up metal flakes.

I run a magnefine filter on mine, installed before the OTW cooler in the radiator. It will pick up a significant amount of metal dust over time. One caveat. You need to be sure that the hoses are leak free, because if they leak, it will pump all the fluid out and take out the tranny (don't ask how I know :frown2:). I didn't double check the work someone had done for me.

On fluid, I would stay with the recommended ATF. Mobil 1 Syn ATF is what I use.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Update:
So far, I've installed the Dieselsite kit and I've put 650 miles on the truck since. I've sent virgin oil samples and a pre-filter oil sample to Caterpillar for a particle count on both. The used oil has about 20,000 miles on it, the truck has 320,000 miles on it. I’ve only owned it since it had 258,000, so I have no idea what it was exposed to before I purchased it.

Unused Oil: 21/18/14
Pre-filter: 23/23/17

So for contaminates
•in the 4 micron range, my unfiltered oil is 4 times as dirty
•in the 6 micron range, my unfiltered oil is 32 times as dirty.
•in the 14 micron range, my unfiltered oil is 8 times as dirty.

Caterpillar gives a much more detailed breakdown of the particle count in 8 difference size ranges, but I’ll plug that all in later.
Once I’ve gone 1,000 miles, I’ll take another sample to see what kind of difference the filter made and then to a much finer filter from Donaldson and see how that affects the numbers. Presently I’m using the Baldwin BT839 filter that comes with the kit.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Update,
So my method of taking samples was poor and resulted in terrible contamination of the samples.

Sorry.

My latest oil sample, using a proper vacuum pump, gave an ISO code of 22/20/12. That's after about 4,000 miles of running a Donaldson P564967 filter, that's rated at 5 µm absolute (Beta ratio = 1,000).

So,
•in the 4 micron range, my filtered oil is twice as dirty as new fluid.
•in the 6 micron range, my filtered oil is 4 times as dirty as new fluid.
•in the 14 micron range, my filtered fluid is 1/4th as dirty as NEW OIL.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts