The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've changed my tranny fluid since I don't put a lot of miles on the truck these days. I'm looking to change the fluid this weekend including the torque converter. When refilling with an empty torque converter what is your procedure for refilling and running the engine, shifting, shutting off and refilling. Sounds like it'll take 18 quarts or so. Should I put 8-9 quarts in start the engine, shift through Reverse and Drive for a few seconds and shutoff and then add another 4-5 quarts and repeat until full? I don't want to overfill and blow seals.

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
You're not going to use 18 quarts unless you do a full flush. That's certainly an option, but not my preferred method.

If it were me, I'd drop the pan, clean and inspect, and swap the internal filter if you choose. Mark says the stock filter is good for the life of the truck, but they're cheap and why not - you're right there.

Then, drain your converter if you choose to. Those of us with models after 2001 don't even have that option, but again - its right there.

Put the pan back on using the reusable rubber over steel gasket if you still have it. Add 8 quarts of fluid (that's the amount you would get if you only dropped the pan) and start it. Then add couple of quarts, check, repeat. The torque converter holds about 7 quarts, but you want to sneak up on it.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
Yes it is good for the older E4OD trucks. It works exactly the same.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Ford's recommendation is in the TSB at the bottom of this caption:

If the trans is in good shape when you begin following that schedule & using only MotorCraft Mercon, then I'd consider it a "filled-for-life" trans, like most modern slushboxes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts