The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a Transmission issue lately. The OD light is blinking and codes for shift 2 - 3 are there. Took it to a Transmission shop and they said it was the PCM? is this Possible? where is the PCM located on my 1999.5 7.3 E350.

·
Super Moderator
11,633 Posts
It is possible, but it is the least likely cause of a shift issue. I would get a second opinion.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is possible, but it is the least likely cause of a shift issue. I would get a second opinion.
Thanks Mark for the reply, that is what i'm thinking also in regards to the PCM? The thing is that the symptoms was first leaking, took it in the transmission shop and they "sealed the unit up for $800, said they also replace the solenoid pack harness. Ok got the truck back and the OD light was flashing and shifting wasn't right, but would shift. They replace the solenoid pack and now not shifting into OD at all and the shop said it's the PCM?????? The truck runs fine other than that and I just noticed that i replaced the PCM a year ago, and has a life time warranty.

·
Super Moderator
25,023 Posts
So you've been to a tranny shop twice, and they didn't fix it either time? Did they tell you what codes they found, or did they even pull the codes?

I'd say you need to find a more reputable tranny shop.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you've been to a tranny shop twice, and they didn't fix it either time? Did they tell you what codes they found, or did they even pull the codes?

I'd say you need to find a more reputable tranny shop.
They pulled the codes, all were shift 2 - 3 and air temp code. But they said it's the PCM and the truck runs fine?

·
Super Moderator
25,023 Posts
They pulled the codes, all were shift 2 - 3 and air temp code. But they said it's the PCM and the truck runs fine?
I'll bet that they didn't run thru the pinpoint procedures to definitively identify the part at fault. Probably took a bunch of shortcuts before advising you it was the PCM.
It's possible that the PCM is at fault, but unless they provided did the pinpoint tests, I wouldn't necessarily trust that. The PCM is a multifunction device and can work correctly to run the engine, but fail to properly control the transmission.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned a transmission shop for almost 40 yrs , and have many E40D/4r100s behind me, and I agree you might want to find another shop. Most likely the low fluid condition has burned the direct friction clutches enough for the PCM to pick up a ratio error (slip)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've owned a transmission shop for almost 40 yrs , and have many E40D/4r100s behind me, and I agree you might want to find another shop. Most likely the low fluid condition has burned the direct friction clutches enough for the PCM to pick up a ratio error (slip)
i was getting shift 2 -3 error codes and air temp codes. they replaced the solenoid in the transmission and it stop shifting all together. then they said PCM?

·
Super Moderator
11,633 Posts
i was getting shift 2 -3 error codes and air temp codes. they replaced the solenoid in the transmission and it stop shifting all together. then they said PCM?
Yes, you said that before. Do you want us to tell you it's the PCM? I can tell you it's the PCM, but I know that I would be wrong to do that. While it is possible, it is the least likely cause of this problem. Your problem is inside the transmission.

Change whatever you want to change. If you want to waste your money on a new PCM it is located in front of the parking brake pedal. You need to unbolt the harness from under the hood.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i got my Van back after buying and installing a PCM. I think the shop robbed me but the most important issue is that the Van is running ok and shifting well with not blinking OD light. I notice that the idle will rise when idling now?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Increased idle speed is normal when it is cold outside. The engine will start and idle at normal idle speed and then go up to about 1000 rpm after a few minutes. Idle should drop back to normal as soon as you step on the brake pedal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts