The Diesel Stop banner

Transmission jumping Problem f250 6.0

64K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Mark Kovalsky 
#1 ·
Hey guys im new to the site but have had my f250 6.0 for about a year now. I have been to many dealers for stuff that im not capable of and do not trust them. I have a problem with shifting in my 2003 f250 6.0 automatic trans. When i take off it hits 1st gear perfect and 2nd gear perfect, when my truck attempts to go into 3rd the rpm's sky rocket and it will kick back into gear hard and sometimes not hard at all. Also 2 out of 10 times the trucks over drive light will start blinking until i turn the truck off then back on. I had this problem when i got the truck and it went away overnight ha. Now ever since i took it to the dealership last week it started up again, I know they unhooked my batteries while at the shop if that helps. If anybody has had this problem shoot some ideals cause its killing me.

#2 ·
Welcome
Have you changed the inline filter changed the oil drop the pan and checked the magnet? Inline filter every 30k oil every 60k i do the whole thing at 30k because i pull almost all of the time 14,000lb 5er.
2 stroker:ford:

#3 ·
Dropping the pan is not the way to start. Since the tow/haul light is flashing there is an error code stored. The ONLY way to fix this is to pay someone to read the codes and then we can start diagnosing what's wrong. The places that read codes free will not be able to read the transmission code that is stored.

#4 ·
No i have not tried dropping the pan and yes i change my oil and both fuel filters about every two months i just do it myself the filter on the rail is a pain to do i need to get a big socket for it so i can cut the time in half. Next time the light comes on i will go to a shop and get it read it just always happens at the most inopportune time. What kind of code reader can i buy to do it myself? I had the problem last year and it went away and last week the shop took my battery cables off to put my chip in, I heard something about these things having to relearn the shift points? I tried that one link that helps it relearn and it stopped when i drove it live my grandma but when i put it to the ground it did it again..

#5 ·
The code will stay in memory for about a month after the last time the light flashed. You don't have to get it read while it is flashing.

#6 ·
Mine does this too anytime the batterys have been fully disconnected. There is a adaptive shifting strategy that you have to help the pcm learn. Google it I know there's another site and the tranny info. Is in their tech folder.

#9 ·
yeah i had it diagnosed all right it is a bad trans they prolonged it my using some type of additive and it seams to be doing okay for now just hard shifts that knock out my teeth ha but anything is better than buying a new trans i found out i have c6 trans i thought it was a e40d but i was wrong. good luck bud

#10 ·
Hey guys im new to the site but have had my f250 6.0 for about a year now.
yeah i had it diagnosed all right it is a bad trans they prolonged it my using some type of additive and it seams to be doing okay for now just hard shifts that knock out my teeth ha but anything is better than buying a new trans i found out i have c6 trans i thought it was a e40d but i was wrong. good luck bud
You have an F250 with a 6.0L and a C6? Who built that? The last year that Ford built a C6 was 1996. The last year Ford built an E4OD was 1998. All 6.0L trucks with automatics had a 5r110 transmission. That was the only one available.

#11 ·
Jack..do u think the chip will fix your "hard knock your teeth out shifts"? Also on "C6" maybe typo?

MK..If tcil blinks & assume DTC is set, dosen't disconnecting batts. cause DTC to get cleared/deleted? If so would have to wait for it to start blinking again or ?

#12 ·
Disconnecting the batteries will clear any transmission codes and the data needed to diagnose what's wrong. He will have to wait for the light to flash again to store the codes and data, unless he really has a C6. Then there won't be any data or codes.

#13 ·
I'm with mark there is no tow haul on anything previous to the 6.0. The 7.3 had a overdrive light. If it is shifting erratically it is likely either a solenoid issue or clutch issue. In the past my stepdad had a temp sensor go and it would send the tranny into limp mode. For me I had the direct clutches fail which causes the truck to while they are going out to bang into and out of 3-5 gears. Very violent shifts I don't recommend it at all. I actually changed the fluid filter and direct solenoid which bought me about 2-3 weeks before the issues came back. At that point I traded the truck.

I would try a reputable tranny shop. Most of them will have the diagnostic equipment to read the codes stored in the tranny. The scanner you would want for your own personal use would be the autoenginuity with the ford enhanced package. It will allow you to do a wide variety of things specific to the powerstroke.

#15 ·
QUOTE=Mark Kovalsky;2011690]Dropping the pan is not the way to start. Since the tow/haul light is flashing there is an error code stored. The ONLY way to fix this is to pay someone to read the codes and then we can start diagnosing what's wrong. The places that read codes free will not be able to read the transmission code that is stored.[/QUOTE]

hey mark its zman06 I have an 06 that all of a sudden developed a shift flair from 2nd to 3rd from hardly noticeable to acting like its in neut. could it be a solenoid going bad tks

#16 · (Edited)
had similar dropping out of gear and back in.read code,said neutral safty switch problem.Dropped pan,new switch,fluid and filters.Ok for awhile 30 min.started again.tow mode flashing.When i stopped and shut it off,it wouldnt start,no action at all.left it sit overnight and started right up and drove ok.Any ideas ???

#20 ·
Something obviously happened when you changed the fluid and filter. There may not be enough fluid, the filter may not be installed correctly, or it may be the wrong filter. A mistake that I've seen several times is people check the fluid level with the engine off. That will give a false reading and result in very low trans fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.