The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a early 99 7.3. The truck slid out and I let out of the fuel (wet road). Anyways when it got back to straight I heard a bang. Not too loud but noticeable. I didn't know what happened so I kept trying to drive. I have no drive no reverse nothing lol. It was shuddering down the road about 3-4 days ago and I assumed it was road conditions but now that seems to be a common thing for a tc to do when it's dieing. All the bolts are okay on the tc as well.. help please !!!

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
Could be a broken flex plate, a bad torque converter, or a broken part inside the trans.

Reactions: dwright5460

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just drained the tc and it came out black/brownish with a lot of metal. Could it still be part of trans or is it safe to say tc?

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
Chances are it's the converter, but it could have damage in the trans, too.

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
No, nothing that you'd be able to see through the pan. You need to go inside the trans, not in the pan.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
But... metal in the pan is an indication that there's more damage to go looking for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay . I'm almost positive it's just a tc but all the bad metal and shavings that went through the tc is now in the pan too. Haven't dropped it yet but the tc fluid was black and full of shavings so.. also will any tc work or will I need a early 99 tc?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts