The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stater shaft/transmission pump on my E4OD that I am rebuilding has broken teeth on it really bad so I need to install a new trans pump.
There are 2 different pumps that are for sale on Ebay. Both are rated to be the replacement for the TSB for the original E4OD pump failures/weakness. Below are the links to the pumps.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

My question is. Which pump do I get? the F5 or the F8 model? the F8 is the latest and greatest. I'm not worried about the price. Both pumps say they replace the weak pump and are compatible with my truck & tranny set up.
Any advice or thoughts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

That one, probably has the updated pressure control, which gives higher pressure for better shifting.
The second one.

It didn't show up blue as a link on this post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I have a 96 e40d I'm rebuilding an my transmission pump has some slight wear to it but seems to still b in ok condition I was wondering wat is the best way to no if I should change it or not I don't really want to replace something if I don't need to do to limited funds but I also don't want to do this a second time

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
Without measuring anything I'd say those parts look like new parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Without measuring anything I'd say those parts look like new parts.
Ok thanks there are some scratches on them so I just wanna b sure I dont screw my self later also I had was wondering if there is a specific way for the lube ways to go on my brass bushing for the tail shaft my new bushing dont line up the same way

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular bushing, but I can say that if oil ports are blocked, it won't run very long.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have you downloaded the free ASTG manual for the E4OD? It has details on how to measure the wear. There are actually 2 ASTG books for the E4OD one is for updating the trans and the other is the rebuild manual, both can be found at no cost here on the interwebs, probably on this site somewhere.

When I took my 150k mile pump apart it was within spec but toward the outer limit. I sent my gear set to have a low friction coating baked onto it that brought it back into spec and made the pump quieter than it was when it came out. It was about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of new gears name of the place is PolyDyn high performance coatings. You can also opt to use one of the large suppliers of used transmission parts like Transmission Parts Warehouse | Teal Automotive, Inc.United States or Used Transmission Parts Hard Parts or there are others as well.

As for the rear bushing, I assume you are going from 2 narrow bushings to 1 large one, that's what I remember anyway? There should be and oil hole in the case and in the bushing, those have to line up once the bushing is pressed into place that the only detail I remember that was important for that one. Maybe post a pic if that doesn't answer your question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts