The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the threads on transmission questions but couldn't find the answer. I believe it was answered before and so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I own a 2008 job 1 with tin can external transmission filter.

Can I toss the external filter and update the internal filter from original screen pickup to the newer pleated filter pickup with bypass screen?

I was thinking of removing the external and running new tranny cooler lines directly from tranny to cooler. Then, dropping pan and swapping older style filter for newer style.

Naturally, the followup question would be ... is this change worth the effort? My truck is really a grocery get'r.

Regards, -FB

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,674 Posts
I'd delete the external filter. To fit the new filter you MUST replace the pan. It will not fit in your current pan.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a new external filter sitting on the shelf, but next time I am not fighting the quick connect fittings. For less than $200 (pan, internal filter, tranny cooler lines) I can switch over to the internal filter. No brainer. And I'd rather drop the pan and clean it out while replacing a filter.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a new external filter sitting on the shelf, but next time I am not fighting the quick connect fittings. For less than $200 (pan, internal filter, tranny cooler lines) I can switch over to the internal filter. No brainer. And I'd rather drop the pan and clean it out while replacing a filter.

Thanks for the input!
I agree those fittings are such a PITA. Only nice thing is that you don't have to drop the pan when you do the filter change. I'm in the same boat as you right now. I'm probably going to do one more external filter change and then evaluate where I am after that. Good to know that $200 is all it takes to swap over.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
How do you guys disconnect the 'quick' connectors? Is there a special tool? Other methods? The right words to say to it?

Or...what part numbers would I need to convert to internal filter...pan, filter, lines, etc?

Thanks...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You need a 1/2 inch tranny cooler line disconnect tool. Amazon is a good source. The OTC tool works when the fitting cooperates with you. I think I've used them all but probably would use a nice new OTC if I had to. Having said that, I'll never fight with those fittings ever again. Never ever. Here are some tools that would fit:

Assenmacher 8023
Lisle 39660
OTC 6593

Technique: I usually snap on the tool and pull slightly on the cooler line while turning the tool about the cooler line and pushing it in. Well sorta like that.

Part numbers: Just use any Ford parts site to pull up microfiche and look them up. I haven't confirmed these parts yet but this is the list I am working from. When the time comes, I'll visit the parts counter and discuss or just give them a call.

pan = 8C3Z-7A194-B ... $45-$60
filter = 8C3Z-7A098-D FT-180 ... $35
cooler lines = 8C3Z-7R081B ... $82

The above parts should switch you over from external bypass filter to internal filter. I got them by looking up parts for a 2010 6.4L. The internal filter is thicker and so it requires a deeper pan. The tranny cooler lines run from the cooler connections up front all the way back to the tranny, where they screw in. This replaces the existing cooler lines that are made to connect to the external filter you would remove. You could always spend more money by putting a spiffy aftermarket pan on it. You could spend less money by splicing existing lines with tranny hose. As for me, I think I'll just keep it simple and tidy.

Remember to confirm the part numbers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to respond. Now I just have to decide which way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts