The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The light that illuminates the transmission gear selected on the dash
(PRND321) is inoperative. I guess the bulb is burned out. It makes it hard to know what gear I am in when driving at night. Kind of dangerous too.

I have a bad back so can't get under the dash to see where the bulb is located. I pulled the plastic panel off, under the dash, and reached up there but couldn't feel anything.

Is there a trick to finding it, and do I need to drop the plastic cover around the base of the steering wheel or what?

Truck is a 2005 Super Duty Diesel 4WD Lariat Automatic with tilt steering wheel.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You are going to have to remove the instrument cluster to access the bulb. ALL bulbs in the cluster are mounted in plastic sockets that insert from the rear and require a 1/4 turn to remove/install. You can pull the bulb out from the sockets and replace them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

How do I remove the cluster, is it just a few screws accessible from the front of the panel, or more involved?

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
Pull the light switch first. Gently pry at the bottom of the square and it pops out. Unplug it. Then, put the key in, move to run and pull the selector into 1st. Pull the lower panel under the column. The dash bezel pulls out from the far left all the way over to the radio. Having the selector down allows it to pull over the column. Next you will see the four screws holding the cluster in. Pull those and the cluster comes straight out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: ford_doctor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pull the light switch first. Gently pry at the bottom of the square and it pops out. Unplug it. Then, put the key in, move to run and pull the selector into 1st. Pull the lower panel under the column. The dash bezel pulls out from the far left all the way over to the radio. Having the selector down allows it to pull over the column. Next you will see the four screws holding the cluster in. Pull those and the cluster comes straight out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks.

Since I will be pulling the cluster out, I might as well replace all the bulbs in there, as I plan to keep this truck for a long time.

How many bulbs are there in total, and are they Ford Part No.: 5F9Z-13B765-BA, or something else ?

Is there an aftermarket bulb at a reasonable price ?

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
They're PC194 bulbs - you can get them for 49 cents each on RockAuto - Wagner or Philips.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
And there ya go! One extra word of caution on removing the cluster. To avoid breaking the shift indicator and or cable that pulls the indicator needle, you will need to either disconnect the cable from the steering column and shifter underneath the steering column - OR - if you can figure out how to release the indicator from the bottom of the cluster it is easier to do that. You will find a plastic tab on each side that needs to be gently pressed in and the indicator slides off of the bottom of the cluster. Because of space limitations, do this while you are lifting the cluster from the dash and likewise as you are going back in with it. The indicator and cable tend to be little fragile. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And there ya go! One extra word of caution on removing the cluster. To avoid breaking the shift indicator and or cable that pulls the indicator needle, you will need to either disconnect the cable from the steering column and shifter underneath the steering column - OR - if you can figure out how to release the indicator from the bottom of the cluster it is easier to do that. You will find a plastic tab on each side that needs to be gently pressed in and the indicator slides off of the bottom of the cluster. Because of space limitations, do this while you are lifting the cluster from the dash and likewise as you are going back in with it. The indicator and cable tend to be little fragile. ;)

Thanks for that heads up. Probably saved me from screwing it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts