The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is my best option for servicing my transmission. I'm at 125,000 miles on my 2013 f-250 and feel like I need to do something. The dealer did a flush on my '12 model at 90,000 but I don't think it gets all of the old fluid out since these transmissions have a thermostat. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess no one has done any trans service. Maybe I should get my wife to get on here and say " my husband got stuck and the truck made a lot of noise, omg what could it be" to get a response

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The 2014 Ford Service DVD shows two options. One, drain the pan and refill. The other is use a fluid exchange machine via the cooler lines.

I know some people on older Ford Transmissions drain the pan and then fill with fresh fluid. run the engine for a few to pump the new fluid through the converter and lines. They then drain the pan and refill again with fresh fluid.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 135,000 on my second tranny. I tow a 5th wheel so every 25,000 miles I do the flush. Every other year I have them do a pan drop and refill. This way the filter gets changed.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Find a shop that uses a heated fluid system. It heats the fluid up to temp so when they put it through the truck, it opens the thermostat of the tranny and flushes it all out.

For me, I'd just drain and refill. You won't get it all out but the majority of it will be fresh.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
If FORD does the flush they use a machine that heats up the fluid. They run the system thru quite well and it does get the greater % of fluid out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts