The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys
recently bought a 2004 f-350 6.0L with 115K (Km).
recently my transmission start to behave strangely; here is what is happening:
- You start the car out it in Drive and it has a delay before engaging.
- you drive a few meters when you stop it wont allow you to put it in Park.
- If you try to put in Reverse on of two things happen
a - It will take at least 10-20 Secs before it engages
b - No matter how hard you step on gas it wont accelerate.
- If you're lucky and the option "a" happens you will have a hard time put it to any other gear. 10% of the time after trying a lot it will then change but 90% it will not.

I thought my Shift was bad but then I disconnected the cable from my transmission box and try to change it with my hand and, sure enough it was stuck.

Any Help is greatly appreciatted. sorry for the possible mistakes, as I dont really speak english that well

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
I recommend removing the transmission pan. You'll be able to see the internal linkage. Something appears to be damaged there.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'll second that, something is wrong with the linkage. I would also check the entirety of the linkage, where it connects at the bottom of the steering column, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Mark / TKOPerformance

thanks for your prompt answer... it might seem stupid to you but, when you say Linkage, do you mean the frame that comes packed with solenoids or just the wiring harness?
if its the first, all seems to be in place, nothing loose.

regards

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
We mean the physical linkage that connects the lever on the steering column to the transmission. Despite all its fancy electronics there's still a mechanical linkage that moves with the lever. On the side of the trans above the pan there's a shaft that connects to the linkage and internally connects to the parking pawl and the manual valve in the valvebody.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
What he said!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Gents
opened the pan all in place everithyng solid. Should I be looking for anything in special, like a part or something?
Tried and replace my trans with a similar old one that was on friend shop from a accidented truck.. and sure enough.. the same problem happened exactly the same way.
with engine off or even working but stopped, I can move the trans shaft manually or with the shift lever but, if I drive for some meters and try to change gear (reverse or park) it gets stuck and nothing happens.
I then switch it off and wait for some minutes and, unplug the shift cable from the shaft and the push really, really hard tomove it and the it will move; olny to happen the samething as soon as i connect it and shift it to a gear.
please help.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
AS said the problem is between the shift lever and the transmission, not in the transmission itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello guys
first of all thank you all for the time you spending on answering my post I am really gratefull for all the support I am being provided with.

I recently changed the whole shaft mecanism bot outside the rans as well as inside.
but the problem persists.

I read somewhere something about a solenoid that is located at the wheel near the shift lever... what your thoughts about that, folks.. is it worth a try?

the reason I am asking is bcause it is hard to come by Ford (or any american car) accessory in my country. so If you say it is worth a try I can order them from US and wait about three to four weeks for delivery

regards

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
What about the rest of the mechanism? Did you verify that the linkage from the trans to the column was operating properly?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts