The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed guages on my truck. (2000 f250) For the trans temp gauge I installed the reader through the test port on the drivers side of the transmission. On the highway I'm usually between 140-160 but in the city it can climb up into 180. I live in Miami so when I say city I mean stop, go for a couple blocks and stop again. Ambient temperature has been anywhere from 85-95 this past week. I also have a hard shift from first to second it kinda slams into gear and maybe that's what's causing the higher temps. Any input would be helpful. THANKS !!

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
You don't have higher temps. Anything from 60-100°F above ambient is normal for the 4R100 trans.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. I was wondering cause I have been looking up normal temps and everyone reports higher temps on the highway than in the city.

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
Then everyone is wrong. You'll get higher temps in the city, not the highway.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
One thing I can add is that around town it takes my transmission a long time to reach the same temps as on the highway. So if I drive say 20 min in town then get on the freeway it will seem like the freeway temps are higher because operating temp is reached in just a few minutes. But if I drive around the city for a couple of hours I will reach those higher temps.

·
Registered
169 Posts
With a 6.0 cooler 150 to 180 is the normal operation temp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts