The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After backing up my 35ft RV with myFord F-250 diesel that has 148,000 mile. The transmission fluid leaked out. I could see it in the street and all the way up the drive. Be for this happen my 10 A fuse to the overdrive and cluster panel blew while driving with the RV. I replaced it and everything work fine until I started backing up the drive.
Could this be the mechanical diode going that caused the problem and if so will rebuild still have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
15,074 Posts
Unlikely. Reverse is a higher gear than first and creates a LOT of heat when backing up, especially with a load. The front seal is a BUNA rubber that gets soft when hot and then leaks. After it cools down, everything goes back to normal until your next backing adventure.

Cures-
1. There is a Viton front transmission seal you can swap to the next time you have the transmission down for any reason. I wouldn't drop it just for this

2. Increased cooling. You didn't mention which year you own, but some 99-00 models did not have the oil to water cooler in the bottom of the radiator. If yours doesn't, then buy a radiator for a 02-03 and get the OTW component of the cooling system hooked up.

3. Increase size of the oil to air cooler. The 6.0 cooler upgrade is almost mandatory for towing. You need a transmission temperature gauge as well. The idiot gauge on the dash won't move until you're in trouble.

4. If you have a 4x4, back up in low from now on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unlikely. Reverse is a higher hear than first and creates a LOT of heat when backing up, especially with a load. The front seal is a BUNA rubber that gets soft when hot and then leaks. After it cools down, everything goes back to normal until your next backing adventure.

Cures-
1. There is a Viton front transmission seal you can swap to the next time you have the transmission down for any reason. I wouldn't drop it just for this

2. Increased cooling. You didn't mention which year you own, but some 99-00 models did not have the oil to water cooler in the bottom of the radiator. If yours doesn't, then buy a radiator for a 02-03 and get the OTW component of the cooling system hooked up.

3. Increase size of the oil to air cooler. The 6.0 cooler upgrade is almost mandatory for towing. You need a transmission temperature gauge as well. The idiot gauge on the dash won't move until you're in trouble.

The model year is a 2001 Ford F-250 diesel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unlikely. Reverse is a higher hear than first and creates a LOT of heat when backing up, especially with a load. The front seal is a BUNA rubber that gets soft when hot and then leaks. After it cools down, everything goes back to normal until your next backing adventure.

Cures-

It’s a 2001

·
Registered
1999 ford f250
72 Posts
Is it 4x4 or 2wd ?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Every thing RT mentioned is right on. Even with increased transmission cooling, you will still experience overheating when backing a heavy load for more than a few minutes. A transmission temperature gauge is a must in order to monitor things heating up. I speak from experience.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Super Moderator
12,000 Posts
First gear is 2.71:1. Reverse is 2.88:1. So no, reverse is NOT higher than first gear. But it isn't low enough for heavy backing, especially uphill.

A 2001 will have a cooler in the radiator, unless someone bypassed it. If the ATF isn't going into the radiator and then to the aux cooler, you've found your problem. If it does go into the radiator first, there are a couple things that can be done.

First, if you have a 4x4 back up in 4 low, and you can leave the front hubs unlocked so that you don't bind the 4x4 on a hard surface.

You can replace the torque converter hub seal with a seal made from Viton. These are aftermarket, not Ford parts. But you have to remove the trans to get the torque converter out to replace the seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts