The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
There are many diesel generators available now that are priced very similar to gas gen sets.

I have seen as low as 3.5KW now.

If you compare the "quietdiesel" ONAN 7.5KW genset to a gas 7.5KW setup there isn't a large difference in price, especially when you consider how quiet they are, fuel efficiency, reduced maint, and long term life.

It is really suprising how quiet the "quietdiesel" is !!

·
Registered
676 Posts
For some people gas power is the rational choice. It seems to me that it all boils down to how may miles a year do you put on. Most RVers don't go over 10K a year so gas power would be fine for them. And quieter to boot.

·
Registered
637 Posts
O.K., since we're lampooning our fellow road rats out there, and their lack of intelligence thereof. How 'bout:

A lady was driving her '72 Volkswagon Beetle down the interstate and it broke down (surprise). Along comes another woman in a '72 Beetle and pulls over to help.

Woman 1 says: "My engine broke"
Woman 2 says: "Thats o.k., I've got a spare one in the trunk.....

Also, do you want to guess how many drivers put chains on their rear wheels up in the snow...with front wheel drive cars!

Talk about OFF TOPIC!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Excellent point redeye.

My only gripe is if I spent such a large amount of money on a new RV, I would use it alot more than the 10K-yr folks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a Class "A" RV owner. I don't consider myself stupid or ignorant only naive. I bought a 38' unit with a V-10 (22K GCVW). I find the performance to be everything I expected. I'm very pleased with the V-10 part of the coach so far. Rigs like mine with diesel pushers cost upwards of $20k more. At the cost of diesel, it would take many years to break even. I probably never would. Having just come back from a trip to Florida and seeing the premium cost of diesel fuel down there, I figure gas is just as economical as diesel anyway. I would be interested in trying a front drive diesel but no one offers one at this time. A $4k premium wouldn't be too bad, $20k is out of the question for me.

Now, if I could only get it back form the dealer with tires that don't bounce I'd be happy. Since the 1st of the year, the dealer has had it over 7 weeks trying to balance the tires. The problem is, the chassis is super sensitive to tires/wheels being balanced according to TSB 00-21-9. Goodyear doesn't seem to be able to furnish tires that will pass a force-variance wheel balance as described in the TSB. The unit only has 5500 miles on it and already 4 of the 8 tires and 4 wheels have been replaced. I am waiting now on the 6th replacement tire to come from Goodyear. 2 tires were rejected after I waited a week and a half for each one to come in and they failed to balance within specs.

I consider myself naive because I never expected to have a problem that would take so long to correct. I consider myself naive because I never thought the closest dealer to me that was capable of doing this work would be over 120 miles from my house (I live 30 miles west of St. Louis - the dealer is 90 miles southeast of St. Louis).

I wish I had known what I was getting into before I bought this unit. It's a matter of expectations, when they aren't met, disappointment occurs.

Disappointed in St. Louis

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, I hope tyey can get it corrected for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may want to check out some of the other "forum", available on the web. rv.net for example. There was a period of time when FORD could not make a GOOD rim! Had something to do with the bolt holes/lug nuts fitting together. If you post the year, make, model of your motorhome on future post ...its much easier getting replies specific to your questions. I will try to find the info's on tires/rims problems and passed it along. Note: I drive a 1999 Class A that was built on the FORD F53 chassis w/Triton V10. My coach OAL is 34 feet. It still have the original Goodyear tires on it. I am still a working man and use my camper every other weekend for short getaway, normally less than 500 miles. When I take my long summer vacation, I take off crosscountry, averaging 6000 to 8000 miles roundtrip. I am currently planning a three-four month getaway to Alaska.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

"Have you ever heard of someone putting diesel in a gas tank or gas in a diesel tank??"

<hr></blockquote>

Diesel in the gas would be a nice trick at most stations--the diesel nozzle won't fit the filler neck in a gas tank.

·
Registered
509 Posts
HAH!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The ones who did put the wrong fuel into their rigs are too "shamed" by what they did to go online and admit it. That's why you don't see those posts. How many people do you know who will say "hey, I just bought a $180,000 diesel rig and put gas in it by mistake, what do I do"??

21 - 31 of 31 Posts