The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan clutch was not working much anymore so I went to remove it and it took tremendous pressure with a cheater pipe to finally break loose and screwed out about 1/2 inch and stopped going out, just sits there and spins in the same spot. What's up with that?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went back and managed to pry it off the shaft. The threads and metal the fan clutch screws onto were broken off inside the fan clutch nut.

·
Super Moderator
25,361 Posts
Did you pay attention to the thread direction? Maybe you were tightening it the whole time and sheared the shaft off. Sounds like you may need a new fan clutch (which you did anyway), AND a water pump. :(

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you pay attention to the thread direction? Maybe you were tightening it the whole time and sheared the shaft off. Sounds like you may need a new fan clutch (which you did anyway), AND a water pump. :(
I was very careful to loosen counter clockwise. Yeah the fan clutch and the water pump will have to be replaced. Should I put never seize on those fan clutch threads? How much torque should I put on the fan clutch nut when I tighten it?

·
Super Moderator
25,361 Posts
The spec for superdutys is 84-112 ft-lb. I would make sure the threads are clean and would probably put some never-seize on them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx!

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
I was very careful to loosen counter clockwise.
Counterclockwise is WRONG unless the '94's are different than earlier years. They are left hand threads, should be embossed on the fan shroud. Translation----you turn to the right, clockwise to loosen. Turn it the correct direction and never seize isn't needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts