The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just recently had a situation with my father-in-laws 2003 6.0. We get in a try to start it up. It immediately sounds like weak batteries. We replaced them. Tried again and sounds like weak batteries. We changed starter and try again, now it spins a little faster, but no start. To make a long story short, We took the serpentine belt off and it starts right up. The air conditioner compressor bearing was locked up.
Good addition to the thread.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
yes i just did i do have oil getting to the filter still no pressure on the gauge
Sorry not to get back w/ you, but it is always better to start your own thread when you have problems. You will get a LOT more folks looking at it.

IMO, start verifying your ICP (high oil pressure readings). You may have a significant HPO leak. Other than that, it is probably the LPOP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys need help... have a 6.0 wont start... the bfore drove it for 600miles park it next morning start it right up notice a rough idle (shaky) drove for 2miles and park it turn it off and it never started back no codes it just spins like it will start but nothing have right oil level any ideas... thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
no start on 7.3/ low icp pressure

i have replaced a 1999 7.3 with a 2000 model engine. The engine will only start if you use starting fluid. after starting with starting fluid the engine runs fine until it starts warming up and then it begins to run ruff and will stall after it warms. During cranking the icp starts at 0 for several seconds and finally works up to about 270 with a 65% duty cycle on the IPR. we bought a new icp pump and have the same results. New oil and filter, new fuel filter, checked glow plugs. Have not bought new IPR but swapped the one from old engine and one on new engine with no change. When you start the truck when it is cold with starting fluid the icp pressure shows about 650 to 700 during idle. As it warms, it begins to fall to the low 500's and lower and begins to run ruff and stalls. over the last 2 weeks the truck has started about 7 times with out starting fluid but it is random and we can't figure out why. It appears we are loosing oil pressure, can someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
2 Posts
cold start

all these suggestions are fine and dandy but my 2004 excursion even in 60 degree temps I get click, click, click.....what gives...when its hot no problem, in winter forget it 30-40 clicks....how could Ford make such a lemon

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this problem right now...

Mine seems to be that when I turn key the fuel pump is not running and the glow plug light on dash is not lighted. It cranks and cranks great but no fire.

I reset the fuel pump cut off and giggled the gear selector. I am about to pull codes of crappy chip set thing...this truck has always been weird it will not run with EGR plugged in. Ran great with it unplugged. Not sure if that is good for it long term to leave it unplugged.

any help is appreciated...I am no service tech but can find my way around it pretty good.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Since this thread is a sticky, it does not get as many views as the others. It would be best to start the "need help" posts as a new thread. If you know of an additional no-start troubleshooting technique, then please post it up!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Starts great until it gets warm, then it won't start for an hour at least. Replaced the injectors, high pressure pump, new turbo, two new batteries and alternator, new pump assembly - fuel injection, fuel pressure regulator. Mechanic says that he did the air leak test, found no leaks. IPR not closing properly. Replaced the IPR screen . Replaced high pressure pump and IPR. Checked high pressure, found 2500 PSI, low pressure oil not building when hot.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Possibilities:

LPOP (and or front cover) trashed, LPOP relief valve leaking, or aftermarket filter causing the oil drain valve in the filter housing to not ever fully close (just recently saw this happen).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys!! Now I'm having a an issue!! Arrrg!!!

So the last few months, my 06 6.0 has been hard starting and idols rough for a minute or so at take off. Then today all of a sudden my AC felt weak and 5 minutes later, BAM it dies and coasts to a stop. It barely started while sputtering and made it half a block and now it fully will not start. Turns over and sounds like it wants to start really bad but nope.

Tonight I had a chance to get the codes 2614 & 2617 which are codes for the cam and crank sensors...

I checked all the fuses and .... nothing.

What should I check next? FICM plugs?? I did repair it some months back.

Some or any help is appreciated.

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Saw this a while back on an 03 Mark. Refering to Kodog's post and your reply jumped out at me. Oem filter w/ absolutely no maint. done to it w/ polymerized goo in the filter base . Same no start hot symptoms. Removed the filter and, suctioned out the goo, washed the filter housing w/ wd-40 and suctioned again. replaced w/ oem filter, then changed the oil. The engine fired right off. Also had one w/ aftermarket filter have the same no-start hot symptom. New oem filter and it fired right off. both would not build base oil pressure before. Both belonged to people in a parking lot situation w/ no-start hot issues. Your sticky and a lap top with a link to the forum saved the day. Thanks. b

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
549 Posts
i have replaced a 1999 7.3 with a 2000 model engine. The engine will only start if you use starting fluid. after starting with starting fluid the engine runs fine until it starts warming up and then it begins to run ruff and will stall after it warms. During cranking the icp starts at 0 for several seconds and finally works up to about 270 with a 65% duty cycle on the IPR. we bought a new icp pump and have the same results. New oil and filter, new fuel filter, checked glow plugs. Have not bought new IPR but swapped the one from old engine and one on new engine with no change. When you start the truck when it is cold with starting fluid the icp pressure shows about 650 to 700 during idle. As it warms, it begins to fall to the low 500's and lower and begins to run ruff and stalls. over the last 2 weeks the truck has started about 7 times with out starting fluid but it is random and we can't figure out why. It appears we are loosing oil pressure, can someone point me in the right direction?
I know that we need 500 PSI for the engine to start, so what should the IRP be at when starting? 100%? Something less? And if 270 IPC is 65% IPR, what would I expect IPR to be with 300 PSI on the IPC cranking?

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Stock truck:

IPR:
IPR should be around 10% - 15% DC @KOEO
IPR should be around 84% DC when cranking. I believe as high as 1900 psig
IPR should be 22-24% at hot idle (MAYBE as high as 30%)

ICPv:
0.15 - 0.35v (typical is 0.19-.24v) KOEO, no pressure registering on my HPO gauge
0.19 to 0.9v cranking - can get as high as 1900 psig though
(around 0.8v to start)
0.82-0.85v at hot idle - around 500 - 580 psig

·
Registered
549 Posts
Stock truck:

IPR:
IPR should be around 10% - 15% DC @KOEO
IPR should be around 84% DC when cranking. I believe as high as 1900 psig
IPR should be 22-24% at hot idle (MAYBE as high as 30%)

ICPv:
0.15 - 0.35v (typical is 0.19-.24v) KOEO, no pressure registering on my HPO gauge
0.19 to 0.9v cranking - can get as high as 1900 psig though
(around 0.8v to start)
0.82-0.85v at hot idle - around 500 - 580 psig
Excellent info and will be very helpful for me and others.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Should also add to the list: Seized A/C compressor. Had same problem, no-start. Just a suggestion though.
Good suggestion! I have seen it happen also.
You can always remove the belt and try starting that way. I have seen some folks just release the tensioner and crank as a quick test.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.