Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 f350 turbo diesel 7.3
truck sitting for 3 years

crank/no start
replaced glow plugs
replace bad lift pump; now i have fuel going to the filter
fuel comes out of schrader valve good while cranking (after it sits for a while, there is no pressure) is this ok?
fuel coming OUT of the filter to injector pump
removed top of shutoff solenoid; tested solenoid; arm moves fine
mechanism inside seems to move fine/ bowl is full of fuel
loosened 5 injectors, no fuel
replaced starter (slow crank speed) with DG Electrical starter. cranks very good now (tach indicates 500 rpm while cranking)
What is the next step for me to try?
any help would be appreciated
thank you
mike

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
loosened 5 injectors, no fuel
Along with all you listed as far as checks and repairs, (good job!) how did you test the fuel shut-off solenoid? Were you using the engine harness and connector or "bench test it?" IF the latter, I would load test the circuit and if good I would replace the injection pump after I verify that the drive gear is actually spinning when the engine is cranking. The only other thing I might suggest is to open all of the injector lines and crank it more... juuuuust to be sure you are moving fuel and purge all of the air. Or not moving fuel through the pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks doc
to verify if the drive gear is spinning; do i remove the 2 bolts on the plate, near the oil filler cap?
I am trying SO hard to not replace the ip pump; I have zero experience with diesel motors.
I am a competent mechanic, but I has very little experience with diesels.
They cost SO much. I am sure that the lift pump was bad and I was hoping that would fix it.
Could BOTH the lift pump AND the IP be bad at the same time?
Truck was running fine before, just a little hard to start.
I had 6 bad glow plugs and thought that would fix it.
Thank you SO much for your help

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have you confirmed that when key is on you are getting power through to the glow plugs? Do you get any smoke out the exhaust while cranking?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
If the lift pump failed, you will most likely need to prime it all the way to the injectors. Get the filter full, then crack one of the injector lines until it starts to spit a little, then tighten it and move on to another until it starts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update!!
I loosened all 8 injector lines; I even took 2 off at the back of the injection pump.
Zero fuel coming out of the injection pump going to the injectors.
I have plenty of fuel going INTO the injection pump from the filter.
When i loosen the injectors; I have fuel leaking out of the bottom of the injectors; return lines.
I have a few psi of fuel going through the return system.
I loosened the line at the fuel return line solenoid and got a few psi fuel going through that line.
Any help before I change the IP
thanks
mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update!!! Repaired!!!
I took off the filter and filled it with SEAFOAM.
I was gonna crank it a few times and let it sit for a while.
After cranking it 4 times for 20 seconds; fuel started squirting out of loose injector line.
So I cracked the lines 2 at a time and let them bleed till they squirted; tightened them up and the truck started!
It runs poorly right now; but it runs.
Starts easily. Maybe after the seafoam clears out it will run better.
Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Let it run until the air works itself out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts