The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well…. They didn’t take much, but they did manage to bust my door handle. I haven’t had time yet to take the inner door panel off but I’m guessing that I’ll find my door lock tumbler inside my door. The door handle doesn’t look broken but hang out from the door about a good inch. Can anyone who has been down this road help me out with a parts list? I’ve seen after market door hands on eBay, has any one purchased one of these,any good.

· Registered
612 Posts
The lock mechanism is held in place with a flimsy spring clip that holds it in place in a plastic cylindrical sleeve cast into the back of the door handle. If the sleeve isn't damaged too bad, you can reinstall the lock and clip and then use a stainless steel hose clamp to hold the sleeve around the lock and to keep it from deforming if some other SOB tries to break in. If the handle is trashed and it is your passenger door, try a rear door handle from a crew cab--no lock, no easy entry. A product called Jimmy Jammers is recommended to keep the lock mechanism from being pried out with a screwdriver. When we installed painted handles, we sold our takeoffs on eBay. I doubt that the Asians could make a knockoff handle any cheesier than the stock ones already are.

· Registered
5 Posts
well my truck is a 99 and it got broken into in atlanta not too long ago but the guys who did it knew what they were doing... the cop said they have this little tool not they stick it right under the plastic piece and hit it with something and it unlocks it with out tearing anything up just leave a little scratch mark in the paint

· Registered
6,286 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The lock mechanism is held in place with a flimsy spring clip that holds it in place in a plastic cylindrical sleeve cast into the back of the door handle. If the sleeve isn't damaged too bad, you can reinstall the lock and clip and then use a stainless steel hose clamp to hold the sleeve around the lock and to keep it from deforming if some other SOB tries to break in. If the handle is trashed and it is your passenger door, try a rear door handle from a crew cab--no lock, no easy entry........

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly why I was thinking about replacing ALL of the locking handles with rear crew cab door handles! My question is do you still need jimmi jammers if you have no door locks in the handles?

· Registered
1,102 Posts
This has been an ongoing problem with SD as well as other manufacturers. I have seen the billet aluminum handles but personnally do not like the look and definitly not the price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I wish someone with the means to do so could make some door handles out of steel. If they could look just like the OEM that would be great. Maybe black powdercoat and just steel with primer for those that want to paint them. I bet they would sell like hotcakes if the price was right. I know I would take a look.

· Registered
461 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The lock mechanism is held in place with a flimsy spring clip that holds it in place in a plastic cylindrical sleeve cast into the back of the door handle. If the sleeve isn't damaged too bad, you can reinstall the lock and clip and then use a stainless steel hose clamp to hold the sleeve around the lock and to keep it from deforming if some other SOB tries to break in. If the handle is trashed and it is your passenger door, try a rear door handle from a crew cab--no lock, no easy entry........

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly why I was thinking about replacing ALL of the locking handles with rear crew cab door handles! My question is do you still need jimmi jammers if you have no door locks in the handles?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you need jimmyjammers because a screwdriver can be wedged between the bottom of the door handle and the door skin to pop the actuating rod and open the door. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.