The Diesel Stop banner

truck goin in for warrenty work

4K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  darsey715 
#1 ·
already got rid of the tuner. but i got a AFE intake. should i bring her back down to stock for the warrenty work? theres major turbo lag n just aint running right. ive heard about people saying take it off meanwhile people saying it doesnt matter. has anyone broughten there trucks in for warrenty work with there itakes on the trucks still? thanks

#3 ·
[ QUOTE ]
<SIGH>

[/ QUOTE ]

???

#4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<SIGH>

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is in response to another owner with a tuner that wants to get his vehicle fixed by Ford that has had a tuner and now has a problem.

#5 ·
aftermarket equipment is installed, truck starts to give you problems, you uninstall aftermarket equipment and take it in for warranty work. grampy works for a dealership as a tech, they don't like when customers do those kinds of things. but yea, take off the afe and put the stock back on....and leave it on. what's the saying "if you're gonna play be ready to pay" ?

#6 ·
Turbo lag and turbo problems are common on your engine....without programmers or AFE intakes.

A tech would have to be ignorant to think that a programmer or AFE automatically equals cause of problem. A good tech knows the shortcomings of your variable vane turbo, and won't use your programmer or AFE as the scapegoat. He'll treat you fair and honest. Make sure you do the same.

But just to be safe, remove them and return it to stock. This will help avoid unnecessary and unjustified warranty denials by a tech who is incompetent.

#7 ·
I'm always reminded of a little kid... scrabbling around trying to hide something so Dad doesn't see it and give him what for...

Yes, we do warranty work on trucks with chips and pipes and <GACK> these and we have denied warranty claims for some of these very reasons...

Each work order is treated on a case by case basis.... and there are ways that even us "low level" guys can find clues to what's going on as far as tuners are concerned. Guys should at least have the balls to be up front about everything.

Customer comes in with a P0603 and a "CLR_DIST" of 5 kms.... it probably wouldn't take much looking to find a programmer hidden away... Trouble is, disconnecting this stuff clears the very codes we would need to help us diagnose most concerns and makes that one or two week wait for an appointment a waste of time.

If a customer is going to disconnect something - do it at least a week before the appointed day... give codes a chance to reset...

Hiding stuff is an indication that somebody thinks they did something "bad"... May be... maybe not... But neither is it particularly hard to see a vehicle that has been abused in many different ways (if an experienced tech lifts your truck, it can be like a doctor looking down your underpants = there is stuff we can tell).

We have a new feature on OASIS.... Quick Start allows us to connect directly to OASIS from the truck.... The VIN and any trouble codes are automatically uploaded to Ford - and I really have no idea about what else may or may not be uploaded along with this stuff - and a report is generated immediately. We can also request hotline assistance right there from the IDS. I use it because it is quick and convenient and saves me a LOT of valuable time in my 10 to 12 hour work day.

The crux of the matter still centres around honesty and integrity... something even dishonest people will tell us is missing in todays society.

#8 ·
It's amazing how some people call a dealership a stealership because of high prices but don't have any conscience at all when it comes to cheating a company out of warranty work that they in fact should be responsible for. Ironic how they can question a dealerships integrity without questioning their own. JMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

By the way 'Warranty" is spelled with an "a"

#9 ·
ok, thanks guys....trucks going in for work in about a week, took the tuner out last night, takin out the afe later on tonight. thanks for all yalls help

#10 ·
"Hiding" something, "dishonesty", "integrity", "no conscience", "balls to be upfront"...

Those kinds of comments are the exact reason why you want to remove your programmer and AFE prior to warranty service...See, you were already convicted before you removed them, and even though they haven't even looked at the turbo, the cause of your problem has already been diagnosed - the mods.

Some folks forget that it is your truck and your warranty. You have every right to protect it from unjust warranty denials and incompetent techs. This thread is a prime example of what can happen to you otherwise.

Again, the variable vane turbo has some chronic inherent problems....on vehicles without mods. To point the finger at mods without recognizing that is pure dishonesty.

Warranty fraud by the manufacturer and its dealers costs customers billions of dollars each year. A lot of customers drive around with a defect or annoying issue only to find out later that Ford has issued a repair...but didn't tell them. Ever gone in for warranty work, had the dealer replace parts under warranty, only to find the problem still there? $26 for a $9.95 glow plug?...now there's honesty and integrety...Well, at least they have the "balls to be upfront".

OP, removing your mods was smart, and it will protect you from a bogus warranty denial.

#12 ·
made myself an appointment for friday. took the tuner off last night(monday), and im taking my afe off tonight. hope everything goes well. thanks for all yalls info and help.

#13 ·
IMHO, if I am going to mod my truck I need to be honest with the dealer if something is to happen. If it was my fault it broke then I will bring the check book. Now if the failure was not because of my mod the dealer needs to be honest and have it fixed under warranty. I believe honesty goes a long way. People seem to be a little more flexible when they are honest. In my business if a piece of furniture brakes and they denied they did anything to brake it and I later find out they miss used it it sends a message of dishonesty. I will then charge them more in the future if I will even do work for them again. Now if a customer comes in and said my 300lb friend jumped on my new chair and broke the leg I would fix it for them and not charge them because they were honest with me. Now this is just an example of how I would expect to treated. When people hide things to get something in return does not show very good integrity.

#14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
. When people hide things to get something in return does not show very good integrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true.

#15 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Now if the failure was not because of my mod the dealer needs to be honest and have it fixed under warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

And there lies the problem.

Even if it's not an honesty problem, it can be an incompetence problem.

[ QUOTE ]
Now if a customer comes in and said my 300lb friend jumped on my new chair and broke the leg I would fix it for them and not charge them because they were honest with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is nice of you. But Ford isn't going to do that. In fact they're apt to tell you what you did to the chair, even if it's not true.

[ QUOTE ]
When people hide things to get something in return does not show very good integrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's hiding something because you have something to hide, like damage you know you did. But then there is hiding something to protect yourself, like from a incompetent tech who thinks mods automatically = denied warranty.

Honesty is a two-way street. I already know I'm an honest fellow, so I tend toward protecting myself from a dishonest warranty denial. After all, it's my truck, and I can put on or take off anything I want.

#17 ·
true that gooch..like u said its a two way street u can have a jerk tech or a nice one that doesnt care. well just see what happens.

#18 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now if the failure was not because of my mod the dealer needs to be honest and have it fixed under warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

And there lies the problem.

Even if it's not an honesty problem, it can be an incompetence problem.

[ QUOTE ]
Now if a customer comes in and said my 300lb friend jumped on my new chair and broke the leg I would fix it for them and not charge them because they were honest with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is nice of you. But Ford isn't going to do that. In fact they're apt to tell you what you did to the chair, even if it's not true.

[ QUOTE ]
When people hide things to get something in return does not show very good integrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's hiding something because you have something to hide, like damage you know you did. But then there is hiding something to protect yourself, like from a incompetent tech who thinks mods automatically = denied warranty.

Honesty is a two-way street. I already know I'm an honest fellow, so I tend toward protecting myself from a dishonest warranty denial. After all, it's my truck, and I can put on or take off anything I want.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was giving my view of things. If there is some reason you need to hide to protect yourself then you are somewhere you shouldn't be. I have never had a problem with a dealer and warranty work. Like I said, be honest and they will treat you with a lot more respect. This is from my experience. Others may not have same experience. But, if you want to play don't expect others to pay. And yes I did fix the chair for free and they ordered a whole house full of furniture. What goes around comes around.

#19 ·
[ QUOTE ]
By 69cj428:

Not to honest if you are hiding the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "truth" is that Ford isn't always honest in justifying a warranty denial. Their techs aren't always capable of making the proper diagnosis, or competent in making an adequate repair. Some actually believe that mods automatically = warranty denial. If you can't understand that, then you're not being "honest" even with yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
By wdwkr:

If there is some reason you need to hide to protect yourself then you are somewhere you shouldn't be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Is there some law or stipulation that says I can't modify my vehicle, or remove those modifications prior to service? Is there something requiring me to disclose and declare my mods to the dealer? NOT.

And since when did removing a mod to avoid a bogus warranty denial become hiding?

Just because you "play" doensn't mean you have to "pay" for Ford's mistakes, defects, or poor dealer tech service.

69cj428, I'm sure you'd feel different if you inherited Ford's all-too-common head gasket failure, only to have your warranty denied because you modified your cooling system via your aftermarket coolant filter system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

And I'm sure if wdwkr had his electrical system go on the fritz, and Ford denied warranty repair because he had aftermarket Piaa lights installed, he'd wish he never let them see the lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I can only imagine the number of owners that have been lead to believe that their mod was the cause of the failure, when in fact it wasn't. After all, we know the turbo on the 6.0L is trouble-free when no mods are installed, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

#20 ·
ah one thing after another. sniper chip is reading me some bs. i bought the truck with teh chip so i dont no what a stock 6.0 feels like. i uploaded it back to stock. but i dont no if its at stock or a lower file. the tuner plugs in and lights up stock. but that sniper chip is a pain in the ass. im gna try to call up my buddy who has a local auto shop to plug my truck in and see *** is going on and wats on it at that moment.

#21 ·
Why is it that the "TECH's" must always justify why FORD is quick to deny a warranty versus being honest and admit that many of the problems the 6.0 has comes straight from the plant?! And then tell us, the paying customer to have the balls to be up front? I believe that FORD needs to grab their S@CK and fix all of the flaws that it has created. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

I have a 2005 F-250 with 35,000 miles and my rear seal is leaking oil. I know that diesel's leak but a $45,000 truck and you are going to tell me that my CAI or exhaust caused it?! DOUBT IT!

#22 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, but had to comment on this because of a similar situation. I just bought a custom 06 King Ranch, low miles, used. Ford is denying my warranty work and even denied me an extended warranty option, just because I purchased the truck, from a Ford dealership with a set of 24" Metal Ice wheels on it. I realize that the tires could throw off the odometer and the miles would not be calculated correct, but at 24k, it's obviously not going to make that much of a difference.

Just thought I would share my story that even a minor mod, that you don't even think about, could cause a warranty being denied.

Chris - N. Ca

#23 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, but had to comment on this because of a similar situation. I just bought a custom 06 King Ranch, low miles, used. Ford is denying my warranty work and even denied me an extended warranty option, just because I purchased the truck, from a Ford dealership with a set of 24" Metal Ice wheels on it. I realize that the tires could throw off the odometer and the miles would not be calculated correct, but at 24k, it's obviously not going to make that much of a difference.

Just thought I would share my story that even a minor mod, that you don't even think about, could cause a warranty being denied.

Chris - N. Ca

[/ QUOTE ]
I would contact a lawyer. if this is even true....

#24 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys,

Chris - N. Ca

[/ QUOTE ]

deffinaty contact a lawyer. ive always been a ford fan but i dont like the Sh!t there pulling lately.

#25 ·
It's funny, everyone of us think we are correct. I am surprised so many guys wish bad and hope Ford doesn't perform warranty work for someone else. I have had this discussion a couple times on here. I read all the posts and I am stunned that so many of you negative people are here. I almost gave up on this sight because of all the crazy negative statements.
I hope everyone that deserves warranty work gets it. If a dealer cares about you, anything can be done. As I have said before, one of my closest friends is the head Service guy at our dealer. I have seen and heard of some crazy things. If you are a good customer, anything can be done.
I have not met a tech yet that is an A-hole. They are guys and women that go to work like the rest of us. Treat them like people and I bet they will treat you good in return.

#26 ·
true that OneTon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.