The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 7.3L F350 on 38" tires with a 13" lift. Please keep the size of my truck in mind when commenting on this issue.

As I started driving my truck I immediately noticed my truck pulling to the left... I had to keep the wheel turned a good quarter ways to the right for it to go straight. Right as I hit about 30 mph I noticed a odd hop on the left side. It feels like an uneven washing machine bouncing. I pulled my truck over to see if I could find any issues, but I am a female and not very familiar with trucks. I took a couple pictures around the pitman arm and track bar area. Can anyone see any issues in this area according to the picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
You have a hose or something hanging down on the pitman arm. That's the only thing I see from the picture. You should jack the tire off the ground and check for play in the hub assembly or ball joints. With big tires they can wear out faster. Try locking the hubs in a see if it changes anything. If it does you might have a bad axle shaft u-joint.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think that is a radiator hose above the pitman arm.

If there is not play in your steering gearbox, the only thing that can give you that much play in the steering would be the track bar - it's the long bar running from the driver's side frame rail to the passenger side of the front axle.

Here is any easy way to check - it will require two people. Start the engine and have one person slowly rock the steering wheel back and forth while the other person watches the front suspension. If you can see the body moving from side to side over the axle without little to no steering motion on the front tires, the problem is in the track bar. Also look at all the mounting points - with my 6" lift and 35" tires, I have broken both track bar mounting brackets. These will be obvious - you will probably see them flexing as you try to turn the wheels. I have had multiple track bar problems - everything from cracked brackets to worn out ends.

Take a real close look at where the track bar mounts to the front axle (just inboard of the passenger side tire). I had some serious death wobble one time and when I found the source, I had found that the mounting point on the axle was so far cracked through that a couple of more good shakes would have broken it completely off the axle. No track bar = no steering. My driver side mounting bracket on the bottom of the frame rail also cracked - some welding and reinforcing gussets fixed it up nicely. The axle mounting point is a U-shaped piece of stamped steel. I made a pattern for and cut a small piece of 3/8" thick steel that I used to more or less box the bracket into a square. A little bit of grinding and welding is all it took to fix it up. The steering has been rock solid with no play at all since the repair.

Those 38" tires are putting a lot of strain on the front end. I would not be surprised at all if you found a cracked track bar mount. The front end will handle the added stress just fine if you reinforce the brackets a bit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 1999 7.3L F350 on 38" tires with a 13" lift... ...but I am a female and not very familiar with trucks. I took a couple pictures around the pitman arm and track bar area...QUOTE]

Hmm - some how I don't believe that you're totally unfamiliar with trucks. After all you drive a lifted 4x4, know what a pitman arm and track bar are, and clearly know what death wobble is.

But front end hopping is tough to find sometimes.

Depending on the truck, I've had it manifest from:
- Broken leaf springs (86 Ford F350)
- Broken shocks (83 GMC 2500)
- Broken frame (87 GMC V3500)
- Slipped belts in tires that hit curbs or potholes (many trucks)
- Very worn tie rod ends (86 Ford F350)

Might be time to closely inspect the entire frontend, and don't forget to check the tires too. BTW - it look in the photo like something is hitting the track bar bolt on the frame side. Is the drop pitman arm interfering with that bolt on left turns?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts