The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve heard y’all say to keep it in 5th and not 6th but with 4.33s I’m running crazy rpms.

Question is how does y’all trucks do running 18k up a hill. Going down a hill hitting 70 then going up the next one flooring it to go about 57mph..... needs something. I’ve got a turbo kit but maybe injectors to. Am I asking to much from this old truck?

·
Registered
497 Posts
What is done to the truck. A set of stage one injectors would wake it up good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
PHP Hydra chip worked wonders for me, but my 5'er is only about 11k loaded

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya she pulls 10-12k pretty good it’s just when you get into the heavier things. Then hay catches so much air it’s like dragging a tarp.

Truck only have exhaust, air intake and edge chip. I’ve got everything for a turbo upgrade just really need to get to it. 160/30 full force injectors right?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I’ve heard y’all say to keep it in 5th and not 6th but with 4.33s I’m running crazy rpms.

Question is how does y’all trucks do running 18k up a hill. Going down a hill hitting 70 then going up the next one flooring it to go about 57mph..... needs something. I’ve got a turbo kit but maybe injectors to. Am I asking to much from this old truck?
Yea, 57mph pulling 18k up a steep hill is about all I can do. You're probably gonna need the injectors plus the turbo kit.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
What are 'crazy rpms', in number form?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it’s just underfueled needs a turbo build. I let someone drive it awhile back and he stalled it in 2nd... I can pull out from a stop light in second if it’s slightly down hill... but he was acting like it was a normal thing back when he m
Owned his 7.3 to skip first gear.... idk

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
69 Mack my crazy numbers is 2800 rpm at 56 mph in 5th.... so there’s no way you’d be about to go 70mph without going into 6th gear.

I noticed this the other day pulling 8k of Fertalizer. I had my headphones in and just let it rip. Truck sounded like it was gonna blow up when I took a plug out of my ear but I just said oh well.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Well redline is what, about 3300? I heard it's pretty hard to over rev these engines but yeah, I guess headphones and prayers are your best bet. lol

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
F450-f550’s have to run 2800 just to drive on the freeway

Your not going to hurt it at 2800.

The max gvwr according to the owners manual is 20k
So grossing 25-26k only maintaining 57mph up hill is pretty good

Ditch the edge chip and get some better tunes.

160/30’s are going to require an upgrade clutch and definitely a turbo upgrade for towing heavy.
At a minimum a billet wheel and 1.0 turbine housing.

Also, towing wih more power just wears down the rest of the truck if your towing in a hot tune

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I forgot to add what do your egts look like foot to floor with 18k behind you going up a hill?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya.... I’ve got a turbo kit in a box with the ebpv delete I’ve been been meaning to get to it but it won’t happen till winter. I’ll also be getting 160/30 single shots with a ts programmer for them from DP when I do the turbo..... but ya your other question, I’m not sure on egt, I rarely drive the truck and mostly just mess with adding things during the winter. I will say that the factory gauge was running hot, but soon as a sit at a traffic light for a few seconds it goes back down. I don’t believe it’s accurate. If it is I’m relying on the cast iron to keep everything together till I get my turbo stuff put on. I hear the edge chips run hot,I know it’s not the best. I just try to let off the gass going down hills to help the engine cool.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
If you don't have a true EGT gauge on this truck - you need to get one. Towing that heavy stock you need one and if you do ANY performance mods at all, you REALLY need one. Remember, aluminum melts at 1221° F., and you can get there pretty quick if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Ya that’s kind of scary towing that heavy with edge tunes.
I imagine you were 1500-1600 degrees for awhile lol

Your going to need a larger turbine housing. The 66mm diy kit isn’t enough.

And skip the TS with custom tunes. Most of the time you need revisions and you would have to send the chip back in meanwhile your truck is parked.

Get a hydra with custom tunes.
From SDK, 1023 diesel, jelibuilt, gearhead.
Do the research. Not just on this forum. Powerstroke.org, Facebook groups, powerstroke nation etc etc you will find the recommended tuners very different than the old posts on this forum.

Your looking at 325 for the hydra then 100-200 bucks for tunes that will be emailed to you.

Then If you need revisions they email them to you for free

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
1023 is who would get my mulah.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With that pedastal I purchased I don’t think I’d able to get a bigger housing since my truck is a early 99.... that wicked wheel 2 also cost me a pretty penny.... I should’ve just upgraded to a 2000 model turbo. The pedestal would’ve been better if I had decided to get a larger housing. Oh well.

Hey and btw guys when I do the injectors will a 30 dollar oil suction pump off eBay work good to drain the oil from the cylinders? I’d rather do that then take the glow plugs out and turn the motor over. Or have that huge blast of smoke on start up that I’ve been hearing about. The pump is cheap and I think it would come in handy. Even for gear boxes. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
An oil suction pump is a great investment. I always use mine when I do injectors, but I would never trust it to have enough oil out to crank the engine over with the starter. The glow plugs come out easy and it's a great time to change them anyway. I use mine to change the oil in the lawnmower and my TDI, but it will struggle with gear oil. Here's the one I have - [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7300-PneumatiVac-Air-Operated-Evacuator/dp/B000JFN9WW[/ame] It uses compressed air to create the vacuum - handy not to have to keep pumping it up...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish i would’ve gotten a turbo from a 2000 model my truck is a early 99, that pedestal and wicked wheel 2 cost a pretty penny... is what it is tho.

Why I have everyone’s attention. When I go to do the injectors how about using a oil suction pump to clear the cylinders instead of turning the motor over or taking out the glow plugs and making a mess. I figure that 30 dollar pump would come in handy anyways just for gear boxes and things.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Ya a little vacuum would work fine.

The 2000 oem turbo is nearly identical.

Only different is the slight different in compressor cover and 5x5 vs 9 blade compr sale wheel.

You can swap on a 1.0 turbine housing to your e99. Deleting the ebpv and the housin will drop egts another 150 degrees (about 50 degrees for the ebpv delete.

If you want a drop in get dieselsite’s e99 66mm ball bearing unit

You will have to run a severely detuned file to be able to tow heavy with bigger injectors unless you do turbo upgrades.

I have 160/30’s and tow with a 1.15 turbine housing and still regularly 1300 degrees on hills with a medium tow tune at weights far below 18k

1 - 20 of 25 Posts