The Diesel Stop banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Look at the connections to the valve covers & make sure they are connected...May be burned...also maybe clean the connection to the ICP sensor ,look for oil leaking from the sensor....

get the codes read if you can....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also, so cam angle or position sensors just go bad and thats it or will it still run

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Ok, tested the pressure. Both banks are developing 2500 psi+ with the other line blocked off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
About how much should the Ex Back pressure sensor cost?

Advance and Oreilly don't have it. Local dealer quoted $134 for it.

·
Super Moderator
25,643 Posts
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thumper723</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About how much should the Ex Back pressure sensor cost?

Advance and Oreilly don't have it. Local dealer quoted $134 for it. </div></div>
About $134. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
You might get one cheaper from an online ford parts place like Powerstrokeshop.com (a site sponsor)

But that won't solve your no-start problem. The EBP sensor isn't involved in starting.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Rails are holding pressure. Too dark to check for leaks, but if the rails are holding a stable 2500psi shouldnt the other 7 injectors fire?

Will check for injector leaks tomorrow when I get a chance, and can rope a friend into coming over to help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
$75?!! For a freaking pressure sensor?!!

And they are $60 cheaper than the local joint. To hell with that sensor, I'm not putting it in until the truck runs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Ok, just to make sure I am on top of what is going on, from the looks of the tests, the IDM and PCM are both working as they should.

ICP is OK. Checked with mechanical gauge.Sensor matches. So that's OK
IPR DC% is OK. That combined with ICP, makes the IPR OK
EBP Sensor bad, but not needed to start.
Injectors "BUZZ TEST" OK, save #8. So the IDM is working.
CPS is OK. Getting RPM and good BIT.

The poppet valve in an injector was mentioned. In my understanding of the system, I would NOT have 2500 PSI on the rail if it was stuck, but will check tomorrow.

If someone could explain to me why the injectors cannot fire with a good signal, and 1500 psi minimum on the rail, it would be appreciated.

Is it possible for the disc the CPS reads to "jump time" ?

·
Super Moderator
25,643 Posts
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thumper723</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If someone could explain to me why the injectors cannot fire with a good signal, and 1500 psi minimum on the rail, it would be appreciated.</div></div>Did I read that you have AutoEnginuity? If so, monitor the following while cranking:
Engine RPM (has to be at least 100)
Vpower (has to be 7 V min)
ICP (has to be 500 psi min)
injector pulse width (has to be 1-6 ms)
No fuel command signal when ICP, RPM and VPWR signals are correct usually indicates a loss of CMP sync signal. Refer to Pinpoint Test «DG» for CMP sensor diagnosis.

A 1-6 mS fuel pulse width (FUEL PW) will be sent by the PCM to the IDM if system voltage does not go below 7 volts during cranking, engine cranking speed is above 100 rpm and injection control pressure is above 3450 kPa (500 psi). Even though a 1-6 mS fuel pulse width is shown on the NGS to be sent to the IDM, it is possible the IDM did not get the signal, due to a fault on either the CID (Cylinder ID) or FDCS (Fuel Delivery Command Signal)circuits or even the IDM. Note that low fuel pressure or no glow plugs could still be the cause of the No Start or Hard Start condition. A 0.60-ms fuel pulse width (a no fueling pulse) will be sent by the PCM when a sync pulse has not been received from the CMP sensor and if insufficient injection control pressure is present. This 0.60-ms fuel pulse width will not allow injectors to be enabled, but does keep the IDM and PCM synchronized until sufficient injection control pressure is realized.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible for the disc the CPS reads to "jump time" ? </div></div>Possible, but not probable.

You've replaced the CPS, but have you checked the connector and circuits? Your trouble may lie there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
RPM 130-170
Vpower 10.1 min during crank cycle
ICP 1500 within 3 seconds, stable at 1500-2000
Pulse width- .6, then 3.5-5.0 after 500psi on the ICP

CPS wires traced OK with no riesistance or shorts to ground or voltage.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
What have you replaced so far? I am getting way lost in this thread. Post a summary of what you have checked.

The way I have read everything so far. You either need a new IPR or you need to pull injector O rings and check them. You can rebuild the IPR yourself, and if its full of crap it can easily give a no start situation.

Have you done a buzz test? If so, do they all buzz out with the same tone?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
From the beginning, a summary of what I have checked.

Fuses/relays checked. Checked Good.
Fuel Pressure checked. 60psi at the bowl
CPS replaced with known good unit. No change.
CPS wires traced. No problems found.
Valve covers pulled, wires checked. No problems found.
HPOP output checked. 2500psi. Will develop 3800 with ICP pulled and IDM relay pulled.
HPOP checked on each side individually. Still checks OK.

AE Scanner arrives. Check codes. EBP sensor and #8 injector low side.
Buzz test. #8 bad/weak. Checked with ohmmeter. Checks high/bad.

ICP is where I am told it needs to be (above 500)at 1500-2500
RPM is above 100 (130-170)
Pulse width is 3.5-5.5 once ICP reaches 500 (2 seconds)
Vpower is 10.1 min while cranking.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Does the IPR DC% Increase while cranking?.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Yes, it goes from 14% to varying betweein 35-55%

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Have you checked the injectors yet?......

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Got one bank done. No leaks on the left bank.

Other has to wait for tomorrow.

Action, you guys know more about this than me, but if it was pissing so much oil out one injector that it would not run, how would I get 2500psi on the oil rail?

When I try to start it, if you are in front of the truck, it sounds like someone is hitting random pistons with a hammer. Pull the IDM relay, and it stops, just cranks.

No smoke, just PING! crankcrankcrank PING! crankcrankcrank PING!

Pull the IDM, it just goes crankcrankcrankcrankcrankcrankcrankcrank no ping, no nothing.

I did check the encoder wheel just to satisfy my curiosity. It is locked to the cam like it should be.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
You got me on this one ,it should be running ..

I don't think The IPRDC % should be that high, I think 58 is max ...????

·
Registered
112 Posts
He seems to have oil pressure and fuel. May be the problem is electrical. Is it possible to check that the injectors receive a signal to fire when cranking?

61 - 80 of 117 Posts