The Diesel Stop banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on this but I'm leaning toward electrical or computer issue. Since the engine only needs fuel, air and combustion to start (along with the blessing of a thousand sensors) and all his readings seem ok where is all this fuel going from his starting attempts over the last week? It seems to me that if the fuel delivery system was working as advertised he would have dumped a significant amount of fuel that had to go somewhere. Should he check the oil? See smoke during starting attempts? Is it possible to just pull an injector, crank, and watch to see if any fuel comes out?

If none of this makes sense, or I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about feel free to ignore this post.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
I know what you are thinking ,but if there isn't enough HP oil pressure the injectors won't fire , if they don't fire , then no fuel.....no fuel , no smoke...

It should be running..IDM runs the cont test so it should be ok, PCM reports ICP & IPRDC% so it should be ok.... 2500 ICP ..And 60 lbs of fuel pressure.The CPS reports RPM's ??????? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Thumper, unless things have changed drastically in the last 20 or so years, for a case of beer, you could probably convince one of the diesel mechanics from the NAS to have a look at this and help you out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Reading the posts again, he did a buzz test. I don`t know AE enough. Does a normal buzz test means that electric signal is okay from the PCM to the injectors? If so, that means he has eliminated that part has being the problem. So, fuel is ok, air is ok, oil is ok, signal from pcm to inj is ok. When you do the buzz test, does it check for "syncronization" of that signal with pistons position. If not , there is not much left. Would that point to CPS, wiring or PCM? Just trying to help and learn.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
A normal buzz test usually means the IDM is OK....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is it possible to check cps and related circuit with AE?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
CPS bit is OK.

CPS signal is apparently in spec, with me getting RPM signal.

Could an air leak somewhere cause this? I got pressure, I think it would not build pressure if it was "foam" but I could be wrong. This is maddening.. I know I have a bad injector, but it SHOULD run.

Is it possible for the ECU to fail in such a way that it just doesnt fire at the right time? The way it sounds when trying to start reminds me of when I put the distributor in my 68 mustang 90 degrees out. Occasional BANG! PING, but just a lot of cranking and no start.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Oh, on the fuel. My oil still smells good and passes the "smack" test (holdover from driving things with Detroits). No fuel smell.

I got a bit of white smoke one day when it acted like it WANTED to start, but did not.

I'm going to pull the other valve cover for the hell of it, but I cant see any injector leakage.

PCM?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
My vote is pull the IPR, clean it really good, put it back in and fire it up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Why would you yank the IPR apart?

Just want to know before I go off on Quitoxic quests to fix the truck. IPR is not cheap if I mess it up while cleaning it.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: action4478</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got me on this one ,it should be running ..

I don't think The IPRDC % should be that high, I think 58 is max ...???? </div></div>

This is why. Not hard to do at all, the hardest part is getting it out. Look here for a good write up for it. Use a cood smooth clean surface to do it on, pay attention to the way the parts come out, and clean everything really good.

Even if it aint' the problem, it is a free fix, costs nothing unless you have a torn o-ring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
check your connectors on your valve covers . see if the clip is broke. wiggle it around see if it fires up. had the same problem went crazy figuring it out. its called the glow plug fuel injector harness theres 9 wires coming out of them. 1 on each valve cover cant miss them.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arisley</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: action4478</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got me on this one ,it should be running ..

I don't think The IPRDC % should be that high, I think 58 is max ...???? </div></div>

This is why. Not hard to do at all, the hardest part is getting it out. Look here for a good write up for it. Use a cood smooth clean surface to do it on, pay attention to the way the parts come out, and clean everything really good.

Even if it aint' the problem, it is a free fix, costs nothing unless you have a torn o-ring. </div></div>

I think the IPR is working ,because he is getting 2500psi,, I believe it was on the guage also,That is a little low, not bad ,but it should be higher..The High IPR dc % indicates that there may be a leak in the system...If it were to be cleaned It could eliminate another variable....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
On my way into town to find a 29mm 1/2 inch deep socket.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
CAUTION.... This... Pic is wrong , put the wrench on the small barrel, not on the threads...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Pulling the valve covers to check for O ring leaks, I found I had not clipped the #8 injector lead properly.

All cylinders buzz test now.

Crank with IDM relay pulled, I can't see any oil coming from anywhere. When I crank with everything normal, I see the "spurts" of oil out of the vents.

Is this where the oil would be coming from if I had bad poppet valves? Anyone got a picture of where oil would come from if it had bad O-rings?

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Did it try to start? ..Any smoke yet?...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
No start. No Smoke. Some slight diesel exhaust smell out the pipe. ?!??

It's still soundign like a mis-timed gasser when I try to start.

I DID just find one chaffed wire (solid green) in the main harness where it was rubbing on the turbo outlet, but no change when it was repaired. Tried to trace the green wire, but no luck. Does not appear to be a IDM/IPR or injector wire.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I'm going to go yank the IPR apart. I have good pressure, but am running out of things to test.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Did you see the post with the picture I sent....?

81 - 100 of 117 Posts