The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, trying to root out what I think is a problem with my 7.3, I think my truck is running rich, it doesn't smoke other than on start up it chugs a gray haze till its warm. I heard through the grape vine that a previous owner had turned the fuel up at some point in time then turned it back down because he didn't have a pyro and was afraid of hurting the engine. However I want to check the adjustment and make sure its set to factory specs. I think it is still turned up some or I have a problem elsewhere because the truck seems to be running very rich, when you stand by the exaust while the engine is running it literally burns your eyes and nose. I get good fuel milage though, just under 15MPG according to my rough calculations, I assume that is pretty good for an extended cab f250 with dual wheels and a dump bed. Just trying to get to the bottom of my horrible exaust fumes and possibly even get better fuel milage. I have a rough idea of how to adjust fuel but where is the window I need to open to get to the screw? And how do I set it to factory specs? Any other things that could cause my exaust fumes to burn my eyes and nose like that? I just don't feel like its normal but I've been told all these old idis are like that. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
If you have a dually rear end, it didn't come from the factory that way. DRW only came stock on a 350. That said, DRW has 4:10 gears so 15 isn't bad depending on transmission.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
If you would put your complete truck info in your signature it sure makes it easier to answer questions and give advice.

You cannot reset the IP to it specs, that has to be done on a test stand.

Assuming the PO had turned the IP fuel back as much as he turned it up.
Does it black smoke while driving "normal"?
If not, then it is probably reset OK. A little smoke on gear changes or hard accelleration is OK also.
On cold start gray/white smoke.
Make sure the IP Cold Advance Solenoid is working, that operates the lever on the side of the IP and advances the IP timing.
Also the Cold Idle solenoid is working, that advances the RPM up to ~950 RPM. Requires one foot throttle to the floor to final extend the plunger with key on. Both of those solenoids will de-energize when the pass side head temp reaches around 120*F, then you idle RPM goes back to 650 to 700.
Anytime the IP is messed with, the IP timing should be checked and set/reset with a hot engine, even one degree of timing has an effect on engine efficiency. An NA IDI, the factory setting is between 8.5* to 9.5*degrees BTDC, that is with a new IP. With a turbo engine, the factory timing is set at 10.5* to 11.5* degrees BTDC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts