The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello First time posting. But been doing good reading and fixing my truck, but now I cant figure it out. I might have but that is leading me to my injectors I think. I have a stock 2002 F250 7.3 4x4 Crew. has now 309682 miles on her. Problem is it starts good, idles good. Just when I go to give it fuel it goes just slowly but does go fills like not enough fuel or not running on all 8 injectors. I can hear the turbo, has boost, No cel light or codes. also no smoke. In Dec I replaced my up-pipes with Riffraff Bellowed up - pipes and also did the 360 turbo bearing kit, pedestal delete had a hard start so I shimmed the injector, after that it stats up great and the truck rans great had get up go with power. So we went to the mountains to the snow all was great. Starting it cold it was white / bluish smoke then would clear up. Came home went to pick up my 7000 lbs trailer all was good, got home and the idle didn't sound right. so it sat for two days as during moving my trailer my passenger brake caliper locked up. So did a full flush and replaced the front calipers / pads. took a test drive and notices now the power is week, but it still wants to go.I also have the FRx / HPX, I did check fuel filter and it is clean.Oil it at the right level also the HPOP oil level is good 1" from top. Check the fuel pressure after the FRx pressure sets at about 70 (gold spring) it holds at 68 - 70 idle driving doesn't seems to drop and WOT it would drop to about 67 - 68 for fuel pressure. I OHMed the UVCH with the 9 pin connector and injectors showed 3's and 4's. two were 4. I will be doing that test again this weekend, but will try from the 42 pin connector. When I did the shim kit all the injector where running oil like they should on a warm engine. Unless that changed in a month after I did all the work. Have not pulled the valve cover again yet, also I don't have the tools to do buss test.. I have the Edge gauge reader it shows the ICP holds at 480 before I start it.(truck fires right up) EGT was doing good runs at idle like 250 - 290. driving 500 - 800 Now 700 - 900 when pulling my trailer it was in the 800 - 1100 real easy. but mostly 900. I check inter-cooler and it holds pressure little bit more oil in them this time then when i took apart last time. Changed out IPR and CPS last year. It does have a strong exhaust smell.
Looking to see what else it could be, or could it just be worn out injectors. If so not looking forward to that cost.
I do have a set of New Ford injector O-ring. I was going to use when I shimmed the injectors. Truck started running good after shimming them so I have not pulled them. But oil level and coolant level are good. So not sure if it could still be bad o-rings. My last tank I ran Diesel Kleen Gray bottle, to 1/4 tank other day put some fuel in so I was not sitting at 1/4 tank. I also did the hutch mod, when I thought the in tank fillers where clogged.

Truck still has all original parts, but the up-pipes, shims and upgraded turbo bearings.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Question, could the ICP go bad and not show any oil leaking from it. I did just replace it when I did up-pipes and stuff.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
ICP sensor could definitely be biased and not have any oil leak. If you have an upper injector o-ring tear, you won't lose any oil, but still will be down on oil pressure. Any hot start issues? Any possible boost leaks? Did you replace the boots after your turbo rebuild? You can build a boost leak detector. I found a leak at the plenums when I did mine. I upgraded to the billet plenums which are really nice. Are you running any tunes?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ICP sensor could definitely be biased and not have any oil leak. If you have an upper injector o-ring tear, you won't lose any oil, but still will be down on oil pressure. Any hot start issues? Any possible boost leaks? Did you replace the boots after your turbo rebuild? You can build a boost leak detector. I found a leak at the plenums when I did mine. I upgraded to the billet plenums which are really nice. Are you running any tunes?
Thanks, I did check boost and it holding. I reuses the old boots. I have No tunes. Will be checking injectors in a bit after i move valve covers.. I just checked my 42 pin connection, for injector and 1,3,5,7,2,8, all ohm at 3 but for #4 ohm at 7 and #6 ohm at 59 did this test 3 times all 3 the same. Was having trouble with # 4 & 6 to get a good reading on the 9 pin.. but the rest were 3' again .

Would that still be a bad UVCH or 2 bad injectors?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont think I have a bad injector or UVCH.
So I ohm out 4 and 6 at the injector and they both read 3 ohms now. But now after doing all these test. Now my CEL light is on and was not on before all the testing.
1 - P0683 indicates that the Glow Plug Control Module to PCM Communication Circuit ( yes I have this as it a CAL truck
2 - P0475 Exhaust Pressure Control Valve
3 - 1690 Wastegate Solenoid Circuit
4 – P1119 Manifold Air Temp Circuit High
5 – P1280 (ICP) injector control pressure – Low input
6- P0198 (EOT) Engine Oil Temp – High input
7 – P0472 Exhaust Pressure Sensor – Low input
8 – P1316 (IDM) injector control module – Code Detected
I tried to clear them guess my reader wont clear the codes. If I disconnect both battery would that clear the codes. So I can test again and see witch ones come back.
Also have to wait a bit as now I have to replace my High pressure steering hose. Lost all the fluid last night.
Also during test driving, at WOT I would hear a noise like a ting at about 40 mph if I WOT at 40 mph i would hear it at 50 mph. I tried doing WOT at a stop and then hear that noise after about 3 sec. The truck wants to get up and go. Just feels like something is like holding it back a bit once at 65 - 75 it is running good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also at WOT I can get the boost up to 15

1 - 6 of 6 Posts