The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 7.3 220k.

2 things I have noticed with this truck not sure if they are related.

When driving down the highway the instrument controls "spike" all electrical power turns off (engine still runs though) the gauges all pin out all the way to the right then back to the left then settle at the normal operating levels. This includes the radio shutting off and the seat beat warning coming back on. That went on inconstantly for a while. The other problem happened about 4 times this month while driving at highway speeds the engine would just shut off. Coasted to the side of shoulder and would try to restart and it wouldn't start up. It would crank fine no white smoke. But if you would let sit for a while it seemed like it had to cool down some then it would start right up and work as normal.

The code p1212 came up when it was scanned.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
204 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have a VSM (Vehicle Security Module) located behind the radio on the firewall can cause electrical issues. Not sure how to test it. It has 3 plugs going to it. It is a B###H to get to. Priced out a new VSM at my local ford dealership, $188 and it doesn't have to be programmed. Just an idea. Does your tuner plug into your computer, it could be loose.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Unplug the ICP and see if there is oil in it. Thats where I'd start. If thats not it, then you need to move to the IPR.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there some pictures where all these relays or sensors are located on the truck?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks--getting back to truck shutting off while driving any ideas? IPR?? or IDM??

the code was P1212: stating the Injector control pressure is lower than desired.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thanks--getting back to truck shutting off while driving any ideas? IPR?? or IDM??

the code was P1212: stating the Injector control pressure is lower than desired.
Check the ICP connection first. If there is no oil you need to read live readings of the IPR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was no oil in the ICP. The IPR sensor had bare wires so I fixed that. But the truck still stalls when driving. Replace the IPR sensor? Or try something else. Go with OEM FORD or aftermarket??

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi, Several thoughts for you;
1. Check the battery connections, both Batt + and gnd, ensure they are tight and not corroded, including the ground to the frame.
2. Check the fuse boxes and relays to ensure proper seating, removing and replacing all can ensure good connections.
3. Check the 42 pin square connector that goes across the driver valve cover for chaffing, pull the connector [bolt in middle] and use a bright light to look for chaffed wires - it can just be a glint of copper that shows, if so tape up the individual wires and then the entire bundle close to the connector head.

Good Luck

Coolhand

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced alt. b/c battery was flashing and it was bad. Clean terminals. So far no spikes on the instrument controls.

I replaced the IPR today and so far so good--to early to tell but I think this will be the ticket and solve the stalling problem, crossing my fingers.

Thanks guys I will update you in a week or so.

Anyway to figure out how to tell which door sensor is bad?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have an 02 model. My truck would shut off while driving like turning the key off. The starter would spin over but no fire. Had to wait 20 mins to cool off and it would run for 10 mins. Would never run more than 10 mins. Used my AE software and found my inj press was only getting to 375 and not the 500 psi needed to fire the inj while the starter was spinning the motor. The electric coil portion of the IPR was bad. It would get hot and quit. Put a new one in and haven't had the problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help guys, IPR did the trick--no problems so far and the truck is running great! The other problem of the instrumentation spiking was solved too--there was a bad ground and the Alt. was also bad.

This is a great site and a lot of good info on here to help people out and save some money too--thanks to all!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts