The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck starts fine when the engine is cold. It'll run for 20 minutes and then just dies and won't start. If I wait for 15 minutes it will start again and run for another 20 minutes and dies again. What could be causing this?

Thanks Griz

·
Premium Member
15,074 Posts
The most likely culprit is a bad IPR valve. An easy way to tell would be to monitor IC pressure with a scanner (ForScan or AutoEnginuity) after it dies and won't restart. If the IPR is bad, you won't build the required 500 psi to restart the engine.

The IPR magnet gets weak over time and like most electromagnets, they are strongest when cold. In this case, the magnet is strong enough to start the truck but loses its grip when it warms up. Cools down and the cycle repeats itself. Sometimes pouring cool water over the magnet will get it to start up again right away, which is also a pretty good confirmatory test.

Reactions: Oneof6

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The most likely culprit is a bad IPR valve. An easy way to tell would be to monitor IC pressure with a scanner (ForScan or AutoEnginuity) after it dies and won't restart. If the IPR is bad, you won't build the required 500 psi to restart the engine.

The IPR magnet gets weak over time and like most electromagnets, they are strongest when cold. In this case, the magnet is strong enough to start the truck but loses its grip when it warms up. Cools down and the cycle repeats itself. Sometimes pouring cool water over the magnet will get it to start up again right away, which is also a pretty good confirmatory test.
RT...as usual you got it right. I ran the truck until it quit and wouldn't start. Then poured some ice water on the IPR and it started right up. I did it two times so I am pretty sure the IPR is bad. Rather than try and clean and rebuild it since I couldn't get another electromagnetic...I decided to replace it. Thanks again for all your help!

Griz

Reactions: 1999f-250superduty

·
Registered
28 Posts

I had a very similar issue about a year ago with my ‘04 F350 with the 6.0. The culprit was a faulty transmission control sensor or TCS. The truck would run and drive just fine for about 15-20 minutes and then all of a sudden when pressing on the accelerator there would be no response or the truck would just die and not restart for a few minutes, I hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts