The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if I am in the right forum area but here it goes.

Yep, My truck was stolen and we got it back within 2 hours. Now the horn does not work and the ingnition lock is broken. At this point you can start the car by twisting the ingnition cylinder w/o a key. I wonder if I will have to replace all of the locks in the doors when I get a new ignition? I also wonder where he most likely dissabled the horn??

the story below
------------

My son called me mid day to tell that he happened to be working on an outdoor school project and saw someone leave the school lot driving his truck. He was on one phone with the police and me with the other phone. I told him I had a meeting to go to and do the best he could with the police. I figured the truck would be stripped and dumped. I was already thinking of the tools, hitches and stuff that I had lost along with my $1K deductable.

2 hours later he calls me from the Mexican border and tells me that he is sitting in his truck.

Apparently he called the police, they responded quickly with a helicopter, saw the guy on the freeway, started a high speed chase with patrol cars, the guy was trying to get to the border. The guy whipped off the freeway down at the border and inadvertently got dead ended into a cul-de-sac of some sort. The police surrounded him and took him into custody.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow sounds like you got pretty lucky on the quick response, i'm sure in large to your son seeing it drive off. glad you got it back so quickly.

As to your concern with having to get all new keys when you get a new ignition. the dealer will be able to rekey the new ignition to your old keys or your old locks to you new ignition or any locksmith should be able to do it for you as well if you're not having it fixed at the dealer.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
These kind of stories are the ones I hate and love...Hate to hear anybody be a victim..LOVE to hear they got the POS that did it!!! Since I am a part time (retired) prison guard, I just might get to meet the scum bucket.

I was the "other" locksmith at the prison for 7 1/2 years and Squirel stroker is absolutlly correct- You can have the ignition keyed to the original or the doors to match the new ignition key.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know, thanks! I also came to find out that the passemger door lock has been punched into the door and now the door will not lock in any way. steve

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
You guys were right. Replace the locksets and then have them re-keyed. $450 and one day of time.

Thanks again for the response. steve
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Jimmiejammers, alarm, disabler, and hood lock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts