The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wife truck not start, dead battery, 7 yrs old. Pulled it and put in back of my SD to get it to parts store, to first check and if bum battery, replace.

Put old battery in back of truck to make run for new battery. Oh no, my SD not start too. :thdown: Tries to roll over, slowly, then click click....

Whats weird is I drove truck to store today, started in driveway just fine. Drove maybe 2 miles. Started at store just fine. Drove home 2 miles, parked. Then this happens later in day - no crank.

OEM batt in 2011 truck, prob 4 yrs old. Think it's battery or batteries? Have no way to check batteries, but have new batt charger capable of 2/10/50 amps. May try tomorrow to charge passenger side battery on 10 amp for 1 hr, then charge driver side battery similar. Then see if truck cranks.

Have Ford ESP but need to get truck running to drive to Ford dealer, who is about 4.5 miles away.

Also, if need to jumper, believe to jumper off the passenger side battery, right? Or both.

I know these batteries are wired up in parallel, and if one suffers, the other suffers too. And if and when 1 replaced, both to be replace same time, otherwise a weak unit will pull down a good newer unit.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After both batteries charged for a few hrs, no start. Tries to start, but then click, click, click. Put code reader and have P068A, or PCM power relay de-energized performance too early - whatever that means.

Can't start, run, so have to tow to Ford dealer, let them execute the Ford ESP, fix it.

Some say replaced their batteries, solved everything. I hope that's it.

Anybody on this forum have any clues, suggestion, to make sure tech at Ford do right thing?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Did you ever try to start with the charger on the 50amp/start setting?
Are the terminals clean/tight?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ford just had both my batteries replaced on my 2013 350. One day my truck was fine, next day dead - no click click click, no lights, no anything. Tried jumping, nada. Called road side assist, they couldn't get it started with their 1000 amp jump pack. Driver said it wasn't unusal. Had to tow to the dealer, which was interesting in itself when the winch cable snapped hurling the truck towards my house, fortunately no damage.

End result, two new batteries covered under warranty.

After both batteries charged for a few hrs, no start. Tries to start, but then click, click, click. Put code reader and have P068A, or PCM power relay de-energized performance too early - whatever that means.

Can't start, run, so have to tow to Ford dealer, let them execute the Ford ESP, fix it.

Some say replaced their batteries, solved everything. I hope that's it.

Anybody on this forum have any clues, suggestion, to make sure tech at Ford do right thing?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you ever try to start with the charger on the 50amp/start setting?
Are the terminals clean/tight?
No not tried with 50 amp charge.
Terminals are clean and tight, yep.

Tomorrow, I think I would try to do jumper off wife's truck, jumper to passenger side battery. If starts, drive to dealer. If not, wrecker service nearby.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried jumper from wife's truck. No go. Same thing. Click, click, click.
Ford SD is at Ford dealer. Prob gonna be there for few days. Service mgr says they have a few diesels ahead of my truck. ESP does not cover batteries. So I asked if the batteries are a million bucks. Got a few laughs of those within ear shot. In a way, I am hoping it's a relay, not batteries, so this ESP biz takes care of that.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Tried jumper from wife's truck. No go. Same thing. Click, click, click.
Ford SD is at Ford dealer. Prob gonna be there for few days. Service mgr says they have a few diesels ahead of my truck. ESP does not cover batteries. So I asked if the batteries are a million bucks. Got a few laughs of those within ear shot. In a way, I am hoping it's a relay, not batteries, so this ESP biz takes care of that.
Thanks for keeping us posted, CajunMick. How many miles are on the truck? Be sure to come back when you hear a verdict from your dealer; I'll continue to hang out on this thread to see if you need my assistance.

Crystal

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for keeping us posted, CajunMick. How many miles are on the truck? Be sure to come back when you hear a verdict from your dealer; I'll continue to hang out on this thread to see if you need my assistance.

Crystal
Truck is 2011, job 2 type, built 12/2010, with 51k miles. Brought it June 2011. Have Ford ESP in effect.
Read that if disconnect both batteries for ~15 minute, might reset PCM and maybe truck start. I did not do this, fear of all thing electronic being disconnected from power and memory loss, like the radio loses pre-programed selections and clock time.

Lucky I have Good Sam roadside assistance, and they took care of tow, tow to dealer 4.5 miles, Planet Ford, Spring, TX.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Truck is 2011, job 2 type, built 12/2010, with 51k miles. Brought it June 2011. Have Ford ESP in effect.
Read that if disconnect both batteries for ~15 minute, might reset PCM and maybe truck start. I did not do this, fear of all thing electronic being disconnected from power and memory loss, like the radio loses pre-programed selections and clock time.

Lucky I have Good Sam roadside assistance, and they took care of tow, tow to dealer 4.5 miles, Planet Ford, Spring, TX.
Thanks for responding, CajunMick. Have you heard any news from Planet Ford? I'd be happy to escalate this to your regional customer service manager; just PM me your details and I'll get to work. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some news, update - received call from dealer Service person. Found batteries bad. Offered price for batteries, which I found to be slightly less than what I paid for to replace the batt in wife's truck. And 3 yr warranty. So green lighted their replacement. I would have to pay as batteries not in ESP Prime plan.

Now I wonder if in this case, if have to pay the deductible for ESP. I am thinking if they really did not replace any parts per se, per ESP Prime listing, thus ESP plan not affected, should not have to pay. The dealer does require a ~$44 diagnostic fee. My thoughts are the diagnostic fee should apply here, not the ESP deductible, which is more. I have to work that out with the dealer key Service Manager there.

Crystal, dealer is Planet Ford, Spring, TX. My claim check is #6418. Maybe you could look into this. I am expecting call today from service advisor (TJ Richie), that truck will be ready for retrieval.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
...Crystal, dealer is Planet Ford, Spring, TX. My claim check is #6418. Maybe you could look into this. I am expecting call today from service advisor (TJ Richie), that truck will be ready for retrieval..
Hi CajunMick,

I don't have the ability to contact dealerships directly, but my offer to escalate this to your regional customer service manager still stands. PM me the information I listed above and I'll get started. :thumbsup:

Crystal

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Truck back in our driveway.

Crystal, no need for additional biz. Close biz.

Dealer replace batteries, charged for them only + labor and some silly environmental costs. Labor was reasonable. Did not even consider the deductible of Ford ESP. Yay!

The only issue that bugged me was the Service Advisor said truck ready, took me to cash register desk, then I had to wait for paperwork. Guess I waited, waited, waited for ~45 minutes. Read a local newspaper and Wall Street journal. My patience wearing thin, after following up couple of times requesting status, finally some activity. Paid and left.

I suspect when I got there, truck not ready, they just started to install new batteries. Then paperwork.

Rant over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts