The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically the truck one day stalled at the gas station and then was fine. I started it next morning cold and it idled extremely rough till it got warm and then was perfectly fine. Afterwards it did that for a like 3 days and the last time it just stopped starting. Truck would crank and sound like it was gonna start and blow black smoke as my foot was on the throttle but now absolutely nothing. Truck will not start changed ICP, CPM, checked all fuses and relays. I have no idea what could be wrong. Checked all of the the wires and everything looks fine. Leaning towards idm. 1999 7.3

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
DO NOT SWAP PARTS WILLY-NILLY! That will just drain your wallet.

First thing you need to do is check your oil level. If it's low, the truck won't run.

Then get it scanned with a PSD capable scan tool (the auto parts store free scans won't work).
You can get Forscan for free (download) and with a cheap DTC interface from online sources, you can do it yourself.
Once you get codes, post them and we can help.

Welcome to TheDieselStop :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DO NOT SWAP PARTS WILLY-NILLY! That will just drain your wallet.

First thing you need to do is check your oil level. If it's low, the truck won't run.

Then get it scanned with a PSD capable scan tool (the auto parts store free scans won't work).
You can get Forscan for free (download) and with a cheap DTC interface from online sources, you can do it yourself.
Once you get codes, post them and we can help.

Welcome to TheDieselStop :)
No codes I checked that already with a snap on scanner. I dont know it’s really confusing me

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
Take your scanner and set it up to display Battery Voltage, RPM, IPR Duty Cycle, ICP, and Fuel Injector Pulse width and crank the engine.
Required to start (in order): 8 V min, 100 RPM, no more than about 35% duty cycle, 500 psi, and 1-6mSec.

Did you check the oil level?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take your scanner and set it up to display Battery Voltage, RPM, IPR Duty Cycle, ICP, and Fuel Injector Pulse width and crank the engine.
Required to start (in order): 8 V min, 100 RPM, no more than about 35% duty cycle, 500 psi, and 1-6mSec.

Did you check the oil level?
I checked oil level, hooked up to scanner and ipr was reading over 2000psi. The injectors are not firing

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
How about the other parameters. If injector pulse width isn't right, the PCM will keep cranking up the ICP in an attempt to start. All the parameters I mentioned have to be above the requirement to start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts